Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Saw Something New Today >

I Saw Something New Today

I Saw Something New Today

Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Default I Saw Something New Today

I saw a photograph online today that shows 12 or so pieces of fabric with stickers and numbers indicating the name of the fabric. Although it's way too late for me to start doing this (been quilting since 1992), I find it interesting. I have kept track of the fabric that I have bought online, but not the ones in local stores. It would be great if I needed some more of a certain one, to know where I got it, and even how much it was at the time.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

That's way too disciplined for me. I tried keeping my receipts but I think I may have thrown some of those away also. I would love to have that much going on.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

You probably don't want to keep stickers on fabric very long. The adhesive may become impossible to remove. When I order fabric online, I remove the stickers right away. Worst case is you press the fabric with a sticker on it. I did that once (sticker was on the reverse side). I had to cut that portion of fabric out.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM

I place the sticker on a small piece of paper and then stitch with a single stitch to selvage, Works for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

If the info is on the selvage, great if not, I don't keep track.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Not all fabric, even t he good stuff, has an ID on the selvages. Our LQS had computerized check out for fabric that they can later ID the fabric bought.
I just finished a very large quilt and I kept the checkout tape, marking which was which fabric. When I decided to make the quilt better I took that slip to the store and they knew right what I wanted.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 PM

I'm not organized enough for that -- so far I haven't needed to know that information about a piece of fabric.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Way too much effort and organization for my more creative/less organized brain!!
NOT having more of some fabric, or the ability to buy more, or the information so I can beg more, is part of the challenging creative process for me. It makes me *have* to find alternatives of fabric or design, and makes my quilts more interesting visually.

Jan in VA
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
NOT having more of some fabric, or the ability to buy more, or the information so I can beg more, is part of the challenging creative process for me. It makes me *have* to find alternatives of fabric or design, and makes my quilts more interesting visually.
I kinda feel the same way. Although I have purchased fabrics and instantly regretted not getting more once I saw in in person, and immediately launched on a quest to find & buy more.

I love scrappy quilts though, so I'm OK with some mismatches.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 AM

I definetly do NOT want to know how much I have invested in fabric and I'm a scrappy girl who thinks the more the better, so no reason to keep track of anything!!(That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)