Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I should have seen that was coming. >

I should have seen that was coming.

I should have seen that was coming.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Default I should have seen that was coming.

So I'm busy snipping and tearing strips for a rag blanket. I'd purchased some PRINTED red and white stripe flannel that had anchors on it. Finally decided on a denim colored flannel for every other strip. Tore both to the right size. Found some PRINTED red/blue/cream plaid for the backing, tore all those pieces. You've probably figured out my problem----------------------the width-wide stripes are so wonky the anchors are starting to slide off. @@

I was making the personal sized quilt for a friend with cancer. But I don't want anyone to see my wonky stripes and wonky plaid------------------so now my DD, SIL and GD have an anchor themed blanket for their boat. A few bounces on the waves and they'll think the lines are just perfect.

So my friend is getting the wood and log ends that CT has in their woodsy flannel collection-----------whenever it gets here.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM

I can so sympathize with you!! I have had a few " I should have seen that coming moments" myself...its a shame we only "see" them later, eh??..Well, at least now your dd and her family have a great blanket for their boat, and your friend will still be getting a great blanket from you, too...
K
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

Don't you love it when the fabric pattern doesn't follow the grain? NOT!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I can so sympathize with you!! I have had a few " I should have seen that coming moments" myself...its a shame we only "see" them later, eh??..Well, at least now your dd and her family have a great blanket for their boat, and your friend will still be getting a great blanket from you, too...
K

I guess it's some consolation that even old ladies can learn something! I'm making a rag quilt for my GGS who's to arrive in May. The fabric I'm using is another width-wide stripeY pattern. THIS TIME I'M CUTTING.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post

And you can almost guarantee that a printed stripe will be wonky!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Power Poster

Having one of those moments myself just now......Who in their right minds would use gingham for a backing when doing a straight line quilting design....well, me!!

At least your anchors will be in an appropriate setting....and I'm sure your friend will enjoy a "woodsy" theme when things get stressful.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post

Here's a thought-----------wonder if I ought to get over my obsession on tearing fabric to get the straight grain? Let me sleep on that!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Having one of those moments myself just now......Who in their right minds would use gingham for a backing when doing a straight line quilting design....well, me!!

At least your anchors will be in an appropriate setting....and I'm sure your friend will enjoy a "woodsy" theme when things get stressful.
LOL, just attach a note that your quilt is not to be turned back side up! What the heck! Ignore any quilt police and enjoy what you've done.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Power Poster

GrannieAnnie I am seriously considering quilting back side up.....or am I heading for an even bigger disaster?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
GrannieAnnie I am seriously considering quilting back side up.....or am I heading for an even bigger disaster?
What's your pattern on the top? If it's a big concern for you, stitch curvy lines. Personally I'd not worry about the back.