Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have "cold feet" >

I think I have "cold feet"

I think I have "cold feet"

Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Perhaps but it does wear off with progress. I like the projects you have done. Think of them as honeing the needle and sissors. If you make a mistake you are just learning. You can also re cut that piece and put it in another quilt.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM

What I would do is make a color copy of your fabric on your your copy machine, then cut out the blocks the way you think you will like it. Then try different color peices in another spot. That way you can tell which one you like the best and you haven't cut into your fabric. Good Luck to you. :D
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 PM

I know what you mean. I ordered some beautiful batiks and I'm afraid to touch them. Someday...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM

I have the same problem and I've been quilting for years now. You just have to bite the bullet and do it.
And if the cut is wrong, then you have the beginings of your next quilt.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM

I just wanted to add to my post with this thought: there is something quite liberating in totally messing up a quilt, and then realizing it's not the end of the world. I look at my first quilt, how crooked the lines are, and remember all of my mistakes, and here nearly 15 years later it's still one my daughter treasures. I know where my mistakes are, but my daughter sees that quilt as a reminder of how much I loved her.

Time has passed, and yes I've made more mistakes since then, although they've gotten smaller and fewer between, but I use that quilt to keep me humble, and to remind me how far I've come.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Well get those feet warmed up and get busy sewing!! *L* might try some wool socks on the feet to warm them.
It's like trying to learn to ride a bike...once you get over the fear of falling off you'll be cruising along smoothly...
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b.

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
I'm fairly new at quilting as some of you may know. I've only made a table runner, set of placemats and a baby rag quilt. I have a few projects that I want to make but keep putting them off.
I think I'm afraid of failing and ruin fabric. Is this a normal newbie thing???
Old 04-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Katts 14
I have been quilting for over 20 yr. And go throught that everytime I start a quilt,that's why I always buy a little more in case I make a mistake.
Me too!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM

A few things that help me not to mess up....
1. Sit down and read all instructions in the project you are about to embark on.
2.Make sure you have all the necessary tools and supplies.
3.Measure twice....cut once and if confused re-read instructions, then measure twice cut once.
4.I never start sewing the day I am cutting out the fabric. I find it very therapuetic in handling,measuring and cutting the fabric.
5.I keep everything for the project in a sterlite or rubbermaid tub with a lid.
6.If it is a large project, I fill plenty of bobbins before starting.
7.Always use the best fabric,thread,rulers,needles and sissors you can afford. Piecing and quiling takes a lot of time,so there's no point in being cheap.
Lastly, don't be afraid to make a mistake, we all do.Just enjoy this hobby. I just wished my grandmother,who taught me to sew, could be alive to see how the sewing industry has evolved. She would be speechless!!! Oh, 1 last thing,make friends with your local quilt shop,they will be your best resource.The Amish women purposely make a mistake in their quilts because they believe perfection is a sin. Trust me when I say that I have plenty of humility in my projects.Blessings, Nancy
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM

I am to much of a worrier and wish I could chill a little. When i took a quilting class at the local college years ago, alot of the ladies said what amyjo DH said about they thought is was crazy to cut all this nice fabric up and sew it back together.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Nope - I was perfect right from the start. hahahahaha

So what is the worst that could happen? I tell you honestly that I have learned more from the mistakes than the blocks that went together perfectly. Just jump in and do it. There really are no mistakes. Only creative challenges.