Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM

The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Maybe you just need to give yourself a break, each of us get started at our own pace and it sounds like you have a lot of life getting in your way right now
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

couldn't resist putting the cheshire cat in when i saw your avatar. cute!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119021.jpe  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

You are tired !

You have a lot going on so it is no wonder that you are having a hard time focusing . It is normal - do not add this stress to your plate :wink: maybe pick something small and fun - just for yourself and give that a try :lol:

Everyone goes into slumps - maybe just come here and enjoy until something strikes your fancy

AND we have great and not so great relationships with our rippers :roll: LOL
Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Many of us hit the wall occasionally... sometimes just petting and/or looking at our fabrics. It IS normal :D:D:D Maybe find a small project to get back in the swing? Sometimes I just make blocks... if they never get into a quilt? who cares? :D I enjoyed trying something new or different... maybe some day they will end up in a scrappy or a sampler... BUT I had some fun making them :D:D:D
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Maybe you are tired!! I am retired and some days have a hard time to get myself going! Try just taking baby steps for a while. Plan some small project you can finish quickly and easily, like a table runner or some place mats. Don't give up on yourself. :P
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree - you probably are tired - and so what if you don't
"do anything" with your fabric.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM

You might have the same problem that I have. I have intentions of working on some quilting project. But, I have to just take a quick peek at this forum to see if there is anything that I am missing. Two hours later, my quilting time is gone and I'm still peeking.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 AM

First of all evict all of those negative messages running in your head from your mother, sister, aunt, friend, lady in the market or anywhere else you (and I and most people) have collected them from. What you do and when you do it and how you do it is right for you and don't let anyone tell you diffrently. If you only have energy to sew 10 mins a day then that is what you should do. There is no right way and wrong way to sew. Sewing is something (I have found for me) that you need to be in the mood to do. If I force sewing I will screw it up every time. Relax, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe a glass of wine first.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
You might have the same problem that I have. I have intentions of working on some quilting project. But, I have to just take a quick peek at this forum to see if there is anything that I am missing. Two hours later, my quilting time is gone and I'm still peeking.
Boy can I relate to that!