Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I made a big mistake >

I think I made a big mistake

I think I made a big mistake

Old 10-02-2016, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
On a second note, I am happy to read this post because I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.
I thought I was the only one whose family doesn't understand why I enjoy quilting and think I should cut down on all my "stuff" and machines.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:53 PM

I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.
It's sad when people don't make the things that are important to you, important to them. It took me 2 years to convince my husband that it was important to me to have a better mattress. Every time I complained about how uncomfortable our old one was and suggested we buy a new one, he'd say "Seems okay to me, I sleep just fine." Which really made me feel bad. I finally told him I was going to start sleeping on an air mattress in the living room - by myself. All of a sudden it became very important to get a new mattress.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
I taught my husband to quilt. He's working on a hunter's star.

The problem? He's hogging my machine!!

the good news? He likes to upgrade stuff and thinks I need a true long arm...... Stay tuned.....lol
it sounds like you need a new machine.....AND a long arm!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
Time to buy him a machine for Christmas.
Oh no....let him take over your machine and go buy yourself a new machine for Christmas! Sort of a 'To me...From me' gift.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Right on lol
The husbands are taking over your sewing room . Had to trade my garage for my sewing room with my wife .
Tom
Old 10-02-2016, 06:31 PM

I think that is fun. But if you only have one machine you definitely need a second.

On a second note, I am happy to read this post because I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.
Really? Move on from quilting? Why would they think you should do that? What do they think you should do?

People are so weird. I've given up trying to figure them out.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:18 AM

My DH took me to my favorvite quilt shop last week. They have a room set up as a man cave. There were 4 women in the shop, and they told him about the man cave. While the women and I were discussing what I needed,here he comes. He told us it was lonesome in there. I told him to just don't touch anything or he would have to buy it. He was good for about 15 minutes, then he started asking questions about patterns and quilts on the walls. He surprised all of us when one lady asked him if he would like to quilt. Oh no, I just like to look and cover with the quilts. I just pay for the stash and machines. I didn't know he knew what a stash meant. I don't know what I would do if he started to quilt, I don't have room for him in the sewing room!!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 AM

Angela S--I feel your pain. My husband has also taken up quilting. Christmas of 2014 he purchased a Judy Niemeyer Prairie Star pattern for me for a xmas gift. I am a longarm quilted and rarely have time to piece anything for myself. He kept bugging me about when was I going to make "his" quilt. Finally I told him if he wanted it, he would have to make it himself. I said "it's easy , it's paper piecing, you just sew on the line". LOL He fell for it. He had never sewed before, but he finished it with my instruction. Long story short he entered it into the local AQS show and had it accepted. A close up pic was even in the show catalog. Now he's even more excited about quilting. He's doing another JM and has taken over my whole sewing area, cutting table, ironing board, etc. What little sewing I do is on a card table with my feather weight. We are together 24/7. Some days he's upstairs sewing before I am. He's already into my stash. You gotta love it, but it's my own fault. The ladies at the quilt shop love him. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 AM

You are one lucky Girl! We have two couples in our Guild that both quilt. One, the hubby takes over the longarmming and that can be a great thing if you like to piece. They travel together to shows and shops all over the country. I would love it if mine would take up the hobby instead of just pointing out batiks that he would like me to make a shirt for him. Yes I made one, it isn't good but he loves it.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:23 AM

The solution is so simple. Just get another machine. Piecing is a dream on a Singer Featherweight😚.