Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I made a big mistake >

I think I made a big mistake

I think I made a big mistake

Old 10-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Default I think I made a big mistake

I taught my husband to quilt. He's working on a hunter's star.

The problem? He's hogging my machine!!

the good news? He likes to upgrade stuff and thinks I need a true long arm...... Stay tuned.....lol
Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM

encourage him along.....go team. I like the idea of buying a different machine, When one works on one machine, the other can be working on any other machine......even if it is a long arm....(we must be efficient and not duplicate efforts, ha ). Be careful, my friend bought a long arm just before her husband retired, while she had the money.....but guess what? He loves computers and mechanical stuff, and he took over the long arming. She didn't care, she had 150 tops she had made over the years, and he has become an expert at quilting while practicing quilting them all. Not a bad thing. They are having the time of their lives. Best wishes to ya'll.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 PM

My sister's DH doesn't quilt, but he loves to buy items he thinks will make her life easier. One time I asked if he wanted to join us at the Road to CA show, after he recovered from the shock and the deer in the headlights expression my sister said he couldn't come. When we got in the car she said he would be looking at every machine in the show trying to talk her into a new one. Even though it would be nice, they had way too many other things they needed than a new sewing machine for her.
So maybe you need to go out with your DH and stroll by a sewing machine store or two for him to peruse the various models up close. :-)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Must be something in the air. Out of the blue my husband said he wanted to learn how to apply binding. Not interested in piecing or quilting, just binding. We'll see how enthused he is after football season.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:56 PM

I think that is fun. But if you only have one machine you definitely need a second.

On a second note, I am happy to read this post because I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Time to buy him a machine for Christmas.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

You know DHs, they look at this stuff as equipment! LOL I can't imagine quilting with my DH. That just doesn't appeal to me at all. Quilting is my me time not our time.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....??
What? How awful of them to be so disrespectful of an honorable hobby that gives you joy. I would quilt more and talk more about quilting as much as I could when around them from now on. I would have them so tired of hearing about quilting they would never bring it up again and hopefully stay away from me.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM

Me too - my DH retired 6 months ago and I desperately want him to find something to do without me. He is now complaining about our "lunches" being either leftovers or sandwiches - what did he think I have been eating for 50 years??? So, I got him the Senior Center's monthly lunch menu and told him to circle a few days a week that he might want to eat in town for lunch - without me.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You know DHs, they look at this stuff as equipment! LOL I can't imagine quilting with my DH. That just doesn't appeal to me at all. Quilting is my me time not our time.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

My Husband has joked about learning to sew. I don't take him serious, he is not careful enough for me. We plan to retire at years end, he will have to entertain himself. After working together for almost 30 years he can do something by himself.