Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I may have cut this all wrong- I think I still don't have a clue >

I think I may have cut this all wrong- I think I still don't have a clue

I think I may have cut this all wrong- I think I still don't have a clue

Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
Thank you so much! I guess I'll be ok then, since the strips I cut (incorrectly) LOF are simply going to be too long, and their corresponding pieces (which were cut WOF) are the right size. So lobbing them off to meet the proper WOF ones should be ok. I've got strips that are 44" and strips that are...Oh, wait, CRAP! My LOF ones are NOT too long, they're too short (Each piece of fabric was a yard long)! CRAPCRAPCRAP!
Where's a dammit doll when you need one...
Back to the drawing cutting board...
If the 44" strips are subcut into smaller lengths, it may not matter that the LOF strips are 36".

If it does matter and you want all the strips to be 44" long, then what I would do is piece the strips and cut them to 44". I would piece on the diagonal since diagonal joins are less visible than straight-across joins.

Over the years quilters have come up with ingenious ways to "make it work". It's part of quilting!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM

After sewing 3 long strips together, they will be subcut...into 1.75" strips...to ultimately build little 9x9s. So no, the original length won't matter...I just won't have enough length to cut enough of the subs...so I'll end up sewing a few more strips to ultimately have the proper # of the 1.75s. Yep, will end up "making it work."
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM

whichever way you cut your strips, they can all be used....but if you cut lengthwise, you may run short of fabric.....just a quick bit if info about selvages....be sure to cut them off when subcutting your strips as the selvage is woven differently than the rest of the fabric and will shrink differently.....it could cause some funny little waves in the fabric....all selvages are different widths, so be sure to check from the backside where the difference is more distinguishable and get it all cut off.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM

The main reason they give for not using selvages is that they are a tighter weave and may shrink differently. I think the main place you would see a difference is if the selvages were not cut off when doing the back. Since that is a large piece and if you used the selvages it would go across or up and down your back. You might then really see a difference. Of course if the quilt is on your bed you still probably would not notice it but you really might if you were hanging the quilt.

Additional fabric - most pattern designers include extra fabric in their calculations to allow for error. Unfortunately I don't think there is a standard for this. I remember taking a class from Lynette Jensen (way back when) and I believe that she said she included enough yardage for an extra cut of the widest piece that would be cut our of that fabric.

I am hoping that even if you cut LOF are a little short you should have enough to cut another strip to make up for that. Since you are doing a blooming nine patch - see first if you are short on your big pieces (can't remember) and if so cut another strip for that. Then you might be able to cut the smaller strips needed for your nine patches from the remainder. You will just need to make a couple more strip sets.