Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I need a drink! >

I think I need a drink!

I think I need a drink!

Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 AM

I am currently renting time on a longarm so I have to finish my quilts in the same day. You're fortunate to have one of your own... just take your time and breathe. Unless you are in a hurry to get it done, you can do a little here and there, roll and do some more... have fun!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM

I am in the process of putting a quilt together. No long arm - can't afford it, so I tie down the smaller quilts and pay to have the big ones long armed!!!! But, what makes every work so much better is a nice glass of room temperature Tawney Port! Sweet, is fabulous for a cold winter night or day and if any of you have Raynaud's, which is soooo painful, it warms the fingers so nicely. Just thought I would throw this little paragraph in. Edie
Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
OMHO, great advice from Geri B. The only thing I do differently is the yard sticks. I started off using yard sticks but as I advanced the quilt I would always "drop" the stick on the floor. I bought two old fashion cheap white curtain rods (the ones that are about 3/4" wide that come out from the wall and are adjustable). One for each side. The bent ends of the rods catch my take up and supply roller, do not fall off and easily slide into place.
Ive taken those two curtain rods hooked them over the take up rollers with a cookie sheet screwed to the rods...make a great catch all tray on the far end of table....
btw- I don't use yardsticks...to short...bought two lathes,,,don't remember how long they are,but no falling off, sanded them so no slivers....have used those same two for 15+ yrs now

heres another tip. So large, long batting does not dust the floor on backside of table, bought two lengths of pvc(had to attach two with a PVC collar) because length was only 8", my setup is 14', anyway.....put chunks of the rough side of Velcro along it in a line, made two long loops with two long shoelaces actually,over machine take up rollers, one at each end...they stay there permanently. When I have large batting, that would normally mop the floor, or I might accidentally step on, this gets rolled on that long pipe( nothing fancy, just quick roll up, which when not in use just lays on floor there, and gets hung thru those loops at ends of rod....unrolls smoothly...... Works for me.