Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Think I'm Allergic To The Batting >

I Think I'm Allergic To The Batting

I Think I'm Allergic To The Batting

Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
HCP

I KNOW I'm allergic to the batting ;-) Not all batts, only Warm & Natural. Others don't bother me as much.
Itchy, itchy eyes, runny nose, and last night I broke out in a rash on my arms and chest after quilting all day. Bummer! So I am back to Fairfield batting, and think I will even switch to organic Hobbs Heirloom.

At the risk of getting on my soap box...did you know that 91% of all cotton grown in the US is now a GMO? (Genetically Modified Organism - meaning it is sprayed with RoundUp) Not a good thing. I avoid it in my
food, and now think I will have to try avoiding it in my quilting too!! 'Natural' does not mean Organic...
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM

A GMO isn't necessarily sprayed with roundup (although it might be genetically-modified to resist it, i.e., "roundup-ready"). it can be modified in many other ways. Just sayin.

Charlotte
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM
HCP

Thanks for the clarification, Charlotte. That is true, GMO doesn't necessarily mean it actually has been sprayed with RoundUp, but how ya gonna know? I still think the best bet for me is to buy Organic...
Old 10-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Yes -- don't get me started on my mattress full of dead skin, mold, plus dust mite poop...its amazing we all survive our nights asleep!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM

We're definitely on the same page, HCP, with allergies. I always buy batting in packages, thinking that it might have less dust in it than on the bolt, but who knows if it matters. Have you tried Quilter's Dream? W&N has those seeds in it, and it might be a bit too close to the plant (and whatever it's been treated with) for you.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM
HCP

Thanks Charlotte! I don't know about Quilter's Dream, but will check that one out. Any other brand suggestions would be welcome!!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM

I have an allergy to dust and wonder sometimes when sewing and my allergies are bothering me I wonder if the fabric from the store may have dust on it from just laying on the shelf. I usually use Warm & Natural and haven't had a problem with that. It you have allergies you sure do know all kinds of disgusting things. I don't know if washing helps but maybe it doesn't hurt. Good luck to you. Sue
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM
HCP

Hi Sue,
I know that washing the fabric helps me a lot. It removes any dust or chemicals on the fabric. I didn't always prewash fabric, but do now because of allergies. The Fairfield batts are easier on me that the W&N, not sure why.
I have never washed a quilt batt...not sure how that works. Have you ever used wool batts? I haven't yet.
Thanks! HCP