Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Think I'm Allergic To The Batting

I Think I'm Allergic To The Batting

Not just any batting, but I think I'm allergic to the 100% cotton batting. A friend gave me a bag full of 100% cotton batting that had not been needle punched, so it was a bit more stretchy. They were large scraps, and I thought they would be perfect for baby quilts and small projects. But, every time I work with it, my nose itches, my eyes water, I sneeze and I have to continually blow my nose. I've never had that problem with Warm & Natural, but I buy their needle punched batting, so I don't know if that makes a difference. The cotton/poly blend doesn't do this to me, so I think it might be the natural oils and sometimes seeds that you find in the 100% cotton batting. Does anyone else have these issues?
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Blog Entries
    maybe you are allergic to something from your friend's home where the batting had been stored
    Nancy in western NY

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Oh no. At least if you are allergic to it, it was for free. A lot of people are allergic to cotton and maybe cotton in this form is just what you can't be around. Sounds like you are allergic to it. I get the same symptoms when my allergies pop up.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

i am allegeric to fabric so it is a must to wash the fabric when bought
    into my home. guess havent had the problem with batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joset View Post
    i am allegeric to fabric so it is a must to wash the fabric when bought
    into my home. guess havent had the problem with batting.
    I have the same problem with fabric. I'm not allergic to the fabric but to the chemicals that are used in making and finishing the fabric. Never had a problem with batting though.

It sounds like it might just be something from your friends house, not necessarily the batting.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    You might be allergic to the cotton batting or as someone mentioned it could be how it was stored. Does it smell musty? You could have a mold allergy. Has it been store uncovered? You could have a dust allergy. It isn't the actual dust that bothers you but the poop from the dust mites that eat the dust. I have the hypoallergenic covers on my pillows and mattress for this reason.

Yeah, it could be you are allergic to the cotton fibers that can float in the air. It could also be how it was stored. The nasal symptoms are the histamine reaction and if someone is allergic to cotton it is usually the pollen from the plant. Since the cotton boll comes from the 'flower' of the plant it may not have been processes as much as warm and natural and some of these pollens are still in the batting. If it was me I would just pitch all of it to avoid the irritation. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Yeah, it could be you are allergic to the cotton fibers that can float in the air. It could also be how it was stored. The nasal symptoms are the histamine reaction and if someone is allergic to cotton it is usually the pollen from the plant. Since the cotton boll comes from the 'flower' of the plant it may not have been processes as much as warm and natural and some of these pollens are still in the batting........
    I agree. Do you know the brand of batting she gave you? Iím a fan of the needle punched cotton Warm & Natural, and have used Hobbs Heirloom which is a bit more stretchy without any issues. Iíd give it back.

Aw geez, Tartan. Now I canít get rid of this mental picture of millions of tiny dust mites leaving their itsy-bitsy poop on everything. I feel the need to get out the old Dyson immediately.

Dang MattieMae I could have gone without that mental picture of yours forever and been happy. ;-) See yall later I have to go vacuum

Power Poster
    Sorry everyone for creeping you out. Those of us who are allergy sufferers know all kinds of disgusting stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast