Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. >

I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

I think I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
why did you buy a hand crank. There are so many good old electric ones available. I don't believe you will learn having to crank with one hand and guide with the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PhAT--SKM

Our own member Muv (UK) sews on these machines. I always thought what you thought. But, there is no vibration with these machines, fabric feeds smoothly with one hand, while you crank.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 AM

here is a web site that tells what needle is needed http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/ and it is a regular size sewing machine needle the way i read it
Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
here is a web site that tells what needle is needed http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/ and it is a regular size sewing machine needle the way i read it
There's just a blank space next to 40k on the chart.
I had already found this site before posting. :(

I wonder if the 24x1 will work in place of the 24x3?

If I've read correctly, the flat side is opposite of the 24x1.
If the needle is installed with the flat side in the correct position, would it be any different?
I've never seen these two needles, much less seen them side by side.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Repeating this in case you missed it:

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
There's a pretty comprehensive needle chart at ISMACS:
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...edle-list.html

According to this chart, the Singer 40 takes ordinary 15x1 needles. Has your model 40 been modified to take the 24x1? Or maybe it came with a manual for the model 24? That one does take the 24x1 needle.
Is your machine a model 40?

If so, you might want to at least try a standard home sewing machine needle, since two sources tell us that the model 40 takes that needle.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Repeating this in case you missed it:

There's a pretty comprehensive needle chart at ISMACS:
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...edle-list.html

According to this chart, the Singer 40 takes ordinary 15x1 needles. Has your model 40 been modified to take the 24x1? Or maybe it came with a manual for the model 24? That one does take the 24x1 needle.
Is your machine a model 40?

If so, you might want to at least try a standard home sewing machine needle, since two sources tell us that the model 40 takes that needle.
Thanks, but no, mine is not a 40, it is a 40K.
(look under the listing for a "Sew Handy" toy machine)
The ISMACS list shows the 24x1 but...
According to the 40K manual it takes a "Cat. 1113 Class 24x3 Size 11" needle.
:(
Link to the manual:
http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Si...l/39_model40k/

The machine is somewhere in transit.
When I get it, I may know a bit more.
I'll try the 24x1 needles.. *cross my fingers*

I'm just trying to have things prepared ahead of its arrival!

Singer 40K hand crank toy sewing machine - as it was posted on ebay.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224339.jpe  
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Well, the good news is that it's a cute little display piece if you love the 400 & 500 series sewing machines.

The bad news is that even with the correct needle, trying to sew with one of these machines is so frustrating that it could put someone off of sewing forever. :(

There are some "Sew Handy" models that produce a very nice chain stitch - the model 20, if I'm remembering right - but this one has a reputation for being impossible. I'm pretty sure that I had one of these when I was a little girl.

With the case, though, and in the condition it's in, it's a darling little collector's piece. I would buy it in a minute. :)

A hand crank is a great machine for a youngster to learn on - it's not as intimidating as an electric machine and the child can sew as slowly as necessary to keep control of the seam. An antique 28/128 or a more modern 99 or Spartan are all easily convertible 3/4 sized machines if they're not already configured as a hand crank. (I've seen dozens of 28/128's for sale over the last few years and all of them were equipped with hand cranks except for one 128 treadle which I bought. :) )

The toy machines, unfortunately, rarely function as a real sewing machine. Kind of like the toy irons we had when I was a little girl. They got warm when you plugged them in, but not hot enough to actually iron with them.

I bought a small Janome for my 8 year old granddaughter to sew on - it has a slow-fast switch and the size isn't intimidating. It's the same machine as the Hello Kitty models, just painted in "big girl" colors. Lots of people buy this machine to take to classes and retreats because they sew so well and they weigh so little. :)

Good luck - it's a really cute set!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Well phooey, I was really hoping that this one, being a hand crank, would be easy for her to use.
The modern plastic battery powered one I bought for her at Joann's was a complete piece of poop... and LOUD as all get out.

I have plans of cleaning up my Great-Grandmother's Singer 15 treadle head and adding the "bolt-on" hand crank attachment for her to learn on.
I just thought that the little machine wouldn't be as intimidating.

I have a pristine 1923 model 99 hand crank, but don't feel all that comfortable letting her learn on it!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224429.jpe  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

I absolutely LOVE that machine...I've never seen one before. Wish I had that on family camping trips as a child. Always have loved to sew and most trips did not involve electricity. (Was a long time ago) That machine would have made so much sense!!! Good for you, enjoy teaching your little one.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

I absolutely LOVE that machine...I've never seen one before. Wish I had that on family camping trips as a child. Always have loved to sew and most trips did not involve electricity. (Was a long time ago) That machine would have made so much sense!!! Good for you, enjoy teaching your little one.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
... snip...I have a pristine 1923 model 99 hand crank, but don't feel all that comfortable letting her learn on it!
why?