Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process... >

I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 AM

i use a skinny needle with a long eye - double the thread over and it threads right into the eye and then right thru the opening in the fabric weave it a bit and right out......love the little sound the knot makes when it 'goes to rest'
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM

I took a course on machine quilting via Craftsy and the instructor said that it is OK to backstitch carefully when quilting in the ditch for quilts that are going to be put in the washer and dryer. Quilts you are giving for people to use. So I don't do as much burying of threads anymore and I find I can hardly see where I backstitched. On a gallopping horse, no one could see it either. Give yourself a break!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Hate burying threads? I never have to do that. I quilt with no knots. Cut a 36-inch thread, slide your needle to the middle, take the needle to the back and pull ½ of the thread to the back. Next, slide the needle to the center of the bottom 18-inches and bring the needle back up to the surface. Place the "spare" 18-inch thread to the side. Begin quilting, when about three inches from the end of the thread, weave the needle into the batt and cross a line of quilting, bring the needle back to the surface, and put the point of the needle into the hole where the thread comes out. Now, take the needle into the batt and cross a line of quilting, the thread will pop into the batt. Repeat for a total of three
times. Bring the needle back to the surface and cut off the thread. What you have done is buried your thread into the batt, crossing lines of quilting and it won't come out. Have used, taught and written about this technique since 1976. It works.
SandyQuilter
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I back stitch a little when beginning to quilt and when ending, saves time and I'm sure it won't come out.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM

Forgot to mention, after burying/ending the first end of the thread, thread the remaining 18-inches and continue quilting going another direction. I will run the needle/thread through the batt as much 2-inches to come up in another spot to quilt.
SandyQuilter
Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM

I use a wire needle threader like the kind you thread hand needles. Just slip the looped wire 1/2" from the hole that the thread is coming through, then from the inside slip the looped wire to the surfice through the hole. Put thread end through looped wire and pull thread through hole and to surface 1/2" away. Clip.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM

I started out using the self-threading needles but found that many times, the thread would pull out thru the self-threading slit when I was trying to pull the thread thru the quilt. Then I discovered the Spiral eye needle and that works so much better. Yes, they are a bit pricey but well worth it, I think.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have been using the self-threading needles to bury thread - the ones with the open notch on the end, so you just kind of force your thread into the notch. But I just got (and haven't yet used) this tool at JoAnn's - the new Clover thread pic. http://www.joann.com/search/_clover_thread_pic/ It will be helpful not only in burying threads (without threading a needle) but also in snagging and moving any dark threads that show up inside the quilt after it's been quilted. I think it will be a great tool to have. It's basically a very fine crochet hook with a comfortable handle.
Dunster, how do you use this? It looks interesting!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
j

If your burying the threads why do you have to knot them. I do a couple of back stitchs, so don't feel I need to make a knot. - J.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have been using the self-threading needles to bury thread - the ones with the open notch on the end, so you just kind of force your thread into the notch. But I just got (and haven't yet used) this tool at JoAnn's - the new Clover thread pic. http://www.joann.com/search/_clover_thread_pic/ It will be helpful not only in burying threads (without threading a needle) but also in snagging and moving any dark threads that show up inside the quilt after it's been quilted. I think it will be a great tool to have. It's basically a very fine crochet hook with a comfortable handle.
That looks like the tool my Mom used to use to fix the runs in the nylon stockings. I haven't used that for threads, but have used the really TINY crochet hook that my Grandma had -- it slips between the treads and works well. I have also used the spiral needles and they work good as well.