Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think my chin bounced off the pavement! >

I think my chin bounced off the pavement!

I think my chin bounced off the pavement!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 PM

I think P T Barnham said that quote.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
The seller is very smart. She wasn't marketing to quilters or crafters. She was marketing to tourists. She placed an appropriate value on her art work. Just because it's fabric instead of paint doesn't mean it's any less a work of art.
I agree! And I bet if she's charging $10-$15 an hour to make these, a small quilt would be in the $200 range for time and fabric. Sheesh. Let up on the woman and stop undervaluing our works. It's just perpetuates more people thinking our quilts aren't worth good $.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
The seller is very smart. She wasn't marketing to quilters or crafters. She was marketing to tourists. She placed an appropriate value on her art work. Just because it's fabric instead of paint doesn't mean it's any less a work of art.
I agree! And I bet if she's charging $10-$15 an hour to make these, a small quilt would be in the $200 range for time and fabric. Sheesh. Let up on the woman and stop undervaluing our works. It's just perpetuates more people thinking our quilts aren't worth good $.
I know I have several small wall hangings I wouldn't part with for less than $150. And there is no way on earth I'd even consider selling a queen size for less than $1000.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
Originally Posted by retired2pa
Those people that bought them must have "deep pockets"...LOL
LOL. Now they are "empty" deep pockets!!! Who said, "There's a sucker born every minute?" - I forget.
HAHAHAHAHAHA You just tickled my funny bone :mrgreen:
And to think I thought it was my Dad's original quote hee hee
Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 PM

I had the same thought at the Sister's Quilt Show in Oregon this summer some of the quilt artist had works up for sale and they weren't cheap. One of those art quilts was listed for $7000.00 That's right $7000.00. I know that she's famous and all, and goes around the country teaching workshops BUT really $7000! It was something that I could go home and make myself. Obviously we under appreciate our talents.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM

What town was the show held? We visited ME last year and I was lucky enough to have found a few terrific LQS! I really liked their fabrics and they were so helpful. Their samples were amazing! Wish ! lived closer so that I could take classes there!!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
What town was the show held? We visited ME last year and I was lucky enough to have found a few terrific LQS! I really liked their fabrics and they were so helpful. Their samples were amazing! Wish ! lived closer so that I could take classes there!!
I found a few LQS while I was driving home. The greatest was a small place called Cotton Weeds Quilt Shop in Freeport, ME. Wonderful customer service, beautiful fabrics and a great atmosphere. I took down all the information for 1 day workshops they'll be having and am more than willing to drive the 2hours one way to attend! They made me feel welcome and I can't wait to go back!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I was not undervaluing our work.....just the opposite. I'm wondering how to move into that market. :) You are absolutely right when you say the lady was not marketing to other quilters but tourists to the area who want to take home "a piece of Maine". Funny thing was.....none of her 8x10 wallhangings had a thing to do with Maine. Also, I looked over the work very closely.....the "work of art" could be completed in several hours time. Yes I too want people to appreciate the amount of work and skill required to quilt. Maybe we all need to put a higher price tag on the work we do. Unfortunately, most of the folks who might want our skills aren't in the same league as these vacationers.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM

A few years ago I did a quilt show to sell my crafts. Across from me was a coupla women that had lived in this town for most of their lives. People bought from them. Next to me were some special needs children from the high school, and people bought from them. They would glance at my table and walk on by. Hardly anything of mine sold. Sometimes it's who you know that makes sales. Six months later my friend took my stuff and set up at the coast....she sold over 1/2 of the items...for MORE money!!!! Go figure.