Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I took a Paper-Piecing class >

I took a Paper-Piecing class

I took a Paper-Piecing class

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM

I just did my first couple PP and I love it. I used regular copy paper, but plan on getting something thinner tomorrow. I don't know how you could use freezer paper, I would think that would be way to thick. Or is it done differently?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 PM

I tried paper piecing a few years back and had the same trouble you did. but I recently retried the technique for mug rugs I made as xmas gifts and it was so much easier this time around. I took my time, thought about what I was doing and voila - paper pieced turtles, cats, and mugs! so don't give up. it really is a great technique.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 AM

I'm self taught at PP , but haven't used the freezer paper method.I had a little Carol Doak booklet with hearts on the front.Still remember how I loved those blocks.:)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 AM

Keep at it! Paper piecing is fun--I have made Halloween witches, pumpkins and my latest are valentine postcards. It took a little time to get the hang of it-putting the first piece on was tricky but I love how it all goes together.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM

I loved how the points were all accurate! Triangles have always been a curse for me to piece traditionally, since I always get a little wonky when it involves bias stretch. I'll definitely NOT give up on it.... I have a little stubborn streak that refuses to be beaten by a piece of fabric!

I'll see if I can track down that book. I think you are right. Maybe if I start over at the beginning and at a nice slow pace I'll get better results.
The instructor kept promoting freezer paper since the waxy finish held the fabric still. Does it shift a lot when you use regular paper, or stay fairly still (since it would get iron-pressed between stitching?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 AM

You sound like me, determined to do something, just to say you can :).
I never had a prob with paper moving as it's sewn before pressing the seam & you press straight up & down, not ironing back & forth.
That's for regular PP, not for using freezer paper.

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I loved how the points were all accurate! Triangles have always been a curse for me to piece traditionally, since I always get a little wonky when it involves bias stretch. I'll definitely NOT give up on it.... I have a little stubborn streak that refuses to be beaten by a piece of fabric!

I'll see if I can track down that book. I think you are right. Maybe if I start over at the beginning and at a nice slow pace I'll get better results.
The instructor kept promoting freezer paper since the waxy finish held the fabric still. Does it shift a lot when you use regular paper, or stay fairly still (since it would get iron-pressed between stitching?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM

I love paper peicing, as for the paper I use printer paper, recycled is abit lighter Our LQS mentioned it to me and I trired carol doaks patterns first and they seem to be the most consistant and easiest to follow for me. It does take some time and concentration on placement but I love the clean lines
Sandra
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 AM

It's one of those procedures that once you "get it" it is SEWWWW easy! Try Carol Doak's method, and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 AM

Oh - I love paper piecing. Have any of you tried the Judy Niemeyer way. Visit her website at www.quiltworx.com. She has beautiful quilts. Her patterns always include the papers so you don't have to worry about sizing and copying. We just had a class on the Waterfalls quilt, and even people without much experience can make beautiful quilts with paper piecing.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967
Oh - I love paper piecing. Have any of you tried the Judy Niemeyer way. Visit her website at www.quiltworx.com. She has beautiful quilts. Her patterns always include the papers so you don't have to worry about sizing and copying. We just had a class on the Waterfalls quilt, and even people without much experience can make beautiful quilts with paper piecing.
Her patterns are FABULOUS, but personally, I wouldn't say they are for beginners.