Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I totally understand artistic license but......... >

I totally understand artistic license but.........

I totally understand artistic license but.........

Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM

I bought a book to make a quilt for my brother's wedding to look like his favorite Frank Lloyd Wright house windows and nothing is right about the pattern. The colors or the pattern itself. I will have to do so much alteration to get it right it will make the pattern I bought almost worthless. UGHHH!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

How terribly disappointing. I would be inclined to write a polite (if you can make it) letter pointing out your disappointment because you were expecting to get a pattern depicting this particular house and in your opinion it doesn't do that. I always write when I am not happy with anything I have purchased, and it's amazing how often I get at least an apology, and often a reduction in price or refund. I got a damaged quilt stand in the post the other day and contacted the supplier to tell them, (complete with pictures of the damaged packaging and item itself). I didn't ask for anything, just said that I wanted to let them know how it had arrived, so that perhaps they could improve their packaging to avoid the same thing happening again. It wasn't worth the return shipping from Ireland to the USA to try and get a replacement, and still functions, just doesn't look quite so good. I got a return email offering all the shipping costs as a refund, which amounted to $44!!! Worth three photos and an email, I thought. You could always point out that you will be letting all of us know the title of the book, so that we can avoid it!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM

I don't know if they still make them, but there used to be stained glass patterns of Frank Lloyd Wright and Tiiffany windows. There may be coloring books, too, that will give you proportions.

I was lucky enough to go in Falling waters in the 70s, and was not prepared for all the noise. Now I live in the same city as a library he did. In order to add on to the campus, another building is being wedged in next to it. It will be interesting to see how it fits - or not
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

How horribly disappointing!!! :x :x :x
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Sorry you were so disappointed!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM

I most definitely would write and tell them exactly what you told us! It can't hurt, and it might save another unsuspecting purchaser some disappointment! :lol: You thought you were getting this and you got that! How disappointing! :(
Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

The book is called "Quilts in the tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright". Seems it should be called "quilts that vaguely resemble windows by FLW".
Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

can you return the book? You should be able to and I would. why waste money?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM

I made a quilt using some of the pictures I got from googling Frank Lloyd Wright and designed the quilt just looking at some of the pictures. Here are several pictures I took before I sent it to him.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-13610.jpe   attachment-13614.jpe   attachment-44506.jpe  
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I love your quilt Barb. Perhaps you should have written a quilt design book based on FLW's work!