Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I used to be indecisive.... >

I used to be indecisive....

I used to be indecisive....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I feel that the BOM offered by online quilt stores, where they supply the pattern and fabric, is usually much too expensive for my taste. For one thing, paying for shipping on a monthly basis rather all at once adds a lot to the cost of the project. Local quilt stores can offer more reasonable prices, without the shipping expense, but you said that there is not one near you. I would recommend the Connecting Threads kits, but they don't ship overseas. I agree with Sue that the craftsy BOM might be a good choice, and you could buy the fabric all at once or as you go along. There are many other web sites with free BOM - just google "free BOM quilts". I admire those of you who persevere in quilting even though you don't have easy access to tools, fabric, guilds, etc.

Oh - that reminds me - search for guilds in your area. I found one in Penarth in South Wales, don't know if it's near you.
Speaking of the Craftsy BOM that was recently finished, I think she used all fat quarters except for the background fabric. That might be a real doable project for you.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Tina: Can you read something then sew it ? IF so go to your local Library, get some DVD's or books on quilting. Maybe even someone there maybe able to help you out as they maybe a quilter or sew (and have sewn quilts). Also go to as many quilting forums you have on the internet-pick up tips, ideas from them. This forum has some most wonderful ideas, and you can make some wonderful friends as well. Many on here will give you ideas, tips and are just plain wonderful.
I am a self taught learner, but the tips I have gleened from everywhere have helped me immensely for sure .. Right now I am reading old (1960's-1980's) magazines for tips and ideas (that were given to me when a friend's mother in law died and no one wanted the magazines she collected -Oh yea I will take em and get new ideas, tips etc from them !!).
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM

Craftsy BOM 2012 was informative and helpful for a person new to quilting as I am. I didn't use fat quarters but yardage from sewing garments in the past. Along with the QB and the classes , I have learned so much. Take the plunge, it's well worth it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Why not get a lot of background fabric (white, off white etc.) Then do some scrappy traditional patterns.(Jacobs ladder, windmills etc.) Many can be found here and on the net. Initial cost would be the background fabric, then get the rest little by little?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Are you aware of the web site http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html? I would think that you could choose what blocks you would like to try, all 12 1/12", in coordinating fabrics and create your own BOM. The instructions are pretty clear, but I am sure if you have a question, this board is the best resource you will find. I also am new at quilting and my biggest problem is figuring out how much material I would need. My latest venture I ran out of 3 and when going to buy more, 2 were gone. Had to find something that would work in replacement of.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM

Default Try making a scrappy sampler quilt

I attached a picture of my most favorite quilt - a Lori Smith Sampler quilt called "Patchwork Sampler" (about 63" x 76"). Every block was different - different colors, different patterns, and assorted sizes. Unless you choose a uniform background fabric, you don't have to worry about having to buy yardages - except for your backing. My blocks were made with bits and pieces of civil war era reproduction fabrics. Lori also designs samplers that combine applique and piecing - and almost all of her patterns would look wonderful as "scrappy". Larger quilt patterns cost vary between $9 and $14 - shipping to USA is free - but only $4 to ship overseas. She also does patterns for small quilts. Her website is: Frommyhearttoyourhands.com

Her pattern directions are simple and accurate. Regardless of where you get the patterns - a scrappy sampler quilt would probably be the most cost effective. Good luck and keep us posted on your project. Happy quilting. Jan
Attached Thumbnails my-lori-smith-sampler-1.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 AM

WOW, that quilt is gorgeous!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM

Good luck on your project and I hope you can find the "just right for you" fabric and patterns. If you lived closer, I would be happy to share some of my stash.
Pat
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 AM

We are so lucky here in the US to be able to get fabrics at great prices and have a vast variety to choose from. Are there fabric warehouses in the UK like we have here? I almost feel like packing a suitcase full of fabric and playing Lady Bountiful
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

I think there might be fabric warehouses, but most likely in the centre of England. I'm right on the coast of West Wales, and it is a long way from 'civilisation'! BUT, life here has it's compensations, we live in a beautiful place, and the quality of life we enjoy here is far nicer than the big town we used to live in; especially for my teenaged daughters.

I think I need to ask for the gift of patience for Christmas, it never was my strong point!! I'm sure the fabric will make itself apparent to me at the right time. After christmas maybe, when I'll have a bit more free time. I have promised the girls some sewing time in the holidays too, they're both taking textiles in school, which is lovely.