Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I visited the quilt museum in York today and found another antique quilt yesterday

As some of you know, I'm on vacation. We were in Scotland, but now we're in York (in England), which is home to the first quilt museum in the UK. Naturally that was one place I had to visit! We went there this morning, and had a pleasant time looking around. One room had mostly antique quilts, dating as early as the early 1800's. Another room had miniature quilts from Scotland, and another had current-day textiles from internationally known artists. I wish I could have taken pictures, but they were not allowed (copyright issues for the newer quilts, deterioration caused by light for the older ones). The quilt museum has many more quilts that are not on display, due to space limitations and the need to protect the collection. It would be nice to be able to visit frequently and see the quilts as they rotate them into the display room, but York is a long ways from Oregon.

Yesterday we visited the Treasurers House in York, and I was pleased to spot a really old quilt there. That one I could take pictures - and some are attached. Not too much was known about this quilt. The guide thought it might be 300 years old, but that sounds doubtful to me. It was in excellent condition with really nice colors. The funny thing is, I would not even have noticed this quilt 5 years ago, before I became a quilter.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

How beautiful.

Kaz
    Lucky you!! I miss York so much, I lived quite near and visited frequently. My DH has only been once but wants to go back too. Never went to the quilt museum but have been to every other one there many times. Hope you are enjoying your visit :)

I should add that the right side of this quilt, as you look at the picture, was where the woman slept (rose at the top) and the left was for the man (pomegranate and thistle). The guide said these were fertility symbols for each. Plus, sleeping on the left allowed the man to have his sword handy in his right hand. (In York everything comes down to battle.) But what if he slept on his tummy? LOL

Gorgeous quilt Dunster. And I can't believe you have only been quilting for 5 years!!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing your trip and this quilt with us :D:D:D

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Look at that neat quilting pattern! Fabulous, thanks!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Lovely!!
    Hope you're having a wonderful trip!!! :)

This is really a treasure! What a beautiful quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast