Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: I was volunteered! Help!

Just got word! They have all arrived!! Walter will pass out all the quilts on Christmas Day, or sooner depending on when seems like the best time. He has said they will be quite busy the next 48 hours, so I know it won't be over the weekend. I will send pictures as soon as I get them!!

Blog Entries
    YAY, YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY..............!!!!!!! no, I'm not excited.......just love Christmas!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

i just heard from "Bluelady" - and don't want to steal her thunder --- but all the packages have arrived !!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!! AND MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

You might make it if you make them like the Linus quilts I do. I make the front out of a continuious piece of cloth and the back out of flannel. I layer the top and back face to face and lay that on top of the batting. I then sew, actually serge, around three sides and then turn the whole thing like a pillowcase. I pin baste the whole sandwhich together and tuck in the open ends. I then machine quilt it in a big decorative stitch about 4 inches apart all over. You could use a patriotic print, a bright plaid or a sports type one for the front and plain solid color flannel on the backs. If the top fabric isn't wide enough just sew wide borders on it till it is big enough. If they are going to end up in a combat zone laundering will be a problem and the important thing is them knowing someone cares.
    Perhaps someone on this board would be willing to collect and ship such quilts to the troops for us. I would be more than willing to donate a couple.

Well, I know they all got their quilts and were very touched to get them. They all send their sincere thanks for remembering them at Christmas time. But.. so far no pictures have been sent. I am not happy with this fact, but Aly tells me there is a lot going on there. I ask her daily if we can just get a couple pictures! I will keep you posted.

I was hoping to hear anything! I saw the post and got so happy. Wind is out of my sails. Just glad that they are happy!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Bluelady, I appreciate the update. While pictures would be nice, what they are doing over there is more important - we can wait, knowing they have received our gifts, and hoping they are all well. thanks again for the opportunity to participate in this gift!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    I agree...my son also is in the service and I made him a quilt and he loved it and used it for the bunk beds, but....asked if I could make him one that is longer so it covered his head to toes... I wish I had done that for his first quilt...but than again...it gave me an excuse to make him another one and this time I let him design it...he now has a Cat in the Hat quilt...Yup...grown men like fun quilts too...
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread since I first read it. Why would anyone make a blanket 65" long for an adult male? I'm 5'4" and it would be too short for me. I want a bit under my feet and enough to pull up around my shoulders.

Who comes up with these measurements"? Even 6' would be short for most men.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
    Well, I know they all got their quilts and were very touched to get them. They all send their sincere thanks for remembering them at Christmas time. But.. so far no pictures have been sent. I am not happy with this fact, but Aly tells me there is a lot going on there. I ask her daily if we can just get a couple pictures! I will keep you posted.
    My SIL was in Afghanistan for a year. It's so dangerous over there they probably don't have much down time. Plus, these are young guys. The thought of a picture doesn't occur to them. When my SIL was there I sent care packages to a couple of guys and never heard anything back. I asked my daughter about it and she said I wouldn't hear back.

Thank you for what you did. I'm not sure how I missed the original thread back in November. My daughter was in the Army too and I know much it means to them.

Thanks "Bluelady".....just knowing all the quilts got there is the wonderful part...the photos..well, for me - that was just to have a face to go with the name. i just want them all to stay safe and come home soon....knowing we were thinking of them with love. Happy New Year All Y'all !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 LastLast