Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a machine that doesn't dance! >

I want a machine that doesn't dance!

I want a machine that doesn't dance!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 AM

Default I want a machine that doesn't dance!

I am redoing my daughters bedroom into my sewing room. I am so excited to have a room of my own for my longarm and all my quilting stuff. I was thinking that a new room deserves a new sewing machine. I have a Brother that I purchased years ago at Walmart and despite it's low price it has worked well for years. Then I gave it a good cleaning and now the drop in bobbin case keeps moving out of place at random times. I will google it and I will fix that, but the main thing that bothers me about the machine is that it starts bouncing when I get it moving at higher speeds. Can anyone suggest some new machines for me to look at that don't cost an arm and a leg and that won't bounce around? Right now my machine sits on a table but when it gets moved into the new room in a week or so, we are going to build it into a table top sitting on two drawer units. We got the table top and drawer units from IKEA. We will make the machine sit with the sewing surface flush with the table. That is another reason I am looking at new machines now since we will be cutting the hole in the table. Don't you just love my logic that leads me to get a new machine!! I quilt on my longarm and mostly just piece on my main machine.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I doubt that it's the machine's fault that it dances. Even my Bernina 440 danced around when I put it on a Costco table. It's fine in the recessed cabinet I purchased for it. Having a mat under the machine also helps.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Dunster. I have a dinky mechanical Brother and when it is in a recessed table it is quite sturdy-feeling. Otherwise, I put it on a folded towel or other cushiony surface. No problems.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 AM

Congratulations. I often dream of having a quilting room and when I get mine, I plan to celebrate by getting a new nachine. LOL
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 AM

I have some vinyl coated shelf mesh under my machine and it doesn't move a bit. Give it a try, it may work.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I have a Janome 6500 (larger arm opening) that doesn't bounce. It is a boat anchor though. Not anything you enjoy moving.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:11 AM

We started, on the suggestion of a local guild member, putting dollar store garden kneeler pads under our machines. They like it. At least, my Agatha does!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I use the dollar store rubberized shelf liner under all my machines. really helps!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM

The bounding is caused by the frequency the needle is moving matching the frequency of the table top. Physics causes the bouncing, not the machine. I sew on a card table and bouncing really becomes and issue then. I just adjust my speed slower or faster and all is well. A more sturdy table will eliminate bouncing.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Get yourself a sturdy table. I have this problem at quilt camp using the large plastic top tables. I have adjusted by putting the machine directly above the leg of the table.