Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I Want to Make a Quilt With Embroidered Squares

I downloaded alot of simple red work designs for kids quilts and some for square designs and some leaf designs.
    So far made one baby quilt and used 9 patch alternate blocks and teddy bears for the embroidery blocks.
    My machine is a cheap Brother with a 4 in design limit and it worked beautifuly. Made an adorable quilt with 6 in blocks.
    Just put togather a table topper with the leaf embroidery and alternate 4 patches. Love it.

Go to Embroidery Library

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx

Click on PROJECTS, in the SEARCH PROJECTS box type in QUILT and you will get a whole bunch of tutorials on how to make a quilt, or a quilt project, using embroidery. That should help you get started.
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

I have done quite a few with embroidered squares. The giraffe quilt was for 9yr old DGD in Texas in March, put them on point with lots of piano keys,
    I am just finishing the Cheetah quilt for other DGD, will be 7, also in Texas. I used a panel for the focus with 3 large very stitch intensive designs with Cheetahs.

I have made lap quilts with Elvis, Golf, and Piano and music motifs...I love the way it makes them unique. I don't really follow a pattern, just fly by the seat of my pants!

Name:  laurens bday2013 quilt.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  734.3 KB
    Name:  m giraffe 1quilt 1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  101.9 KB

I love making embroidery quilts. They are so fun. Here are a couple I have done. There are others here on the board in my posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

When I bought my 830 the dealer was offering a class where we made a machine applique quilt - there are patterns for sale which contain the embroidery designs and the directions for making the quilt. This was a really good way to force myself to jump right in and use the machine. I have since bought another one - these are just so fun to make and make a stunning quilt.

I think my camera finally downloaded my pictures so will try to post one.
    This is done with only a 4 in embroidery size so the blocks are 6 in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My avitar is my quilt that has 8 embroidered blocks - what I did is used the embroidery within the block, I used a 6 1/2 embrodiery then finished the outter part of the block in my fabrics. I also have a Christmas lap quilt in process that has embroidery incorporated into it. As for stabilizer - are you doing a QAYG or trying to embroider with the backing fabric included in the hooping? You could just use the regular stablizer, fusible tear away and a floater if you are not including the backing, if you are, a mesh or washway. You do know that most stabilziers only support 8,000 stitches, anything more and you need to add floaters for every additional 8,000? That really makes the difference in the embroidery pulling your fabric. Have fun.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I love your teddy bear quilt! So sweet! Can you tell me what kind of stabilzer you used and where you got your designs? They are adorable! I have a niece who is having a baby girl and thought I could try making one with pinks.

Martmorga... I know this probably a stupid question... But what is a floater?

I think the designs came from Designs By JuJu. They were not expensive. The stabilizer was in squares and heavy. I dont remember where I got it but it works very well but has to be picked off.
    Also got some nice leaf designs in redwork, and some designs that are 4 in squares in redwork.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast