Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: An idea for a quilt for my MIL

  1. #1
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    My MIL is in an assisted care facility. She has dementia. Still knows everyone, just can't remember a lot of other things. From things I've read here & some other places I have been thinking of a quilt to make for her. Would like your input on my idea.

    I would like to take pictures of each family member, print them onto the printable fabric, embroider that person's name under the picture, and use each of those as a square in the quilt design. I know she would cherish this gift & hopefuly down the road it will help her have some bright moments as her memory of people starts to go.

    Several questions come to mind:
    How well do the printed fabrics hold up to laundering? Is there a product I should use to help "set" the ink?

    I don't embroidery & don't have an embroidering machine. Are there people who do this (I would expect to pay). Should I look locally or are there people here you would recommend?

    I have plenty of time. This quilt would be for either Mother's Day 2011 or my MIL's birthday June 2011.

    What do you think? I appreciate your thoughts & ideas.

  2. #2
    Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    746
    I don't want to be morbid, but I urge you to re-think that you have plenty of time. My father started with slight dementia and a year later was dead from Alzheimer's. Don't delay in making this quilt so she will have time to cherish it. My avatar was to be Daddy's sampler. I didn't finish it in time.

  3. #3
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    13,256
    Blog Entries
    2
    are you buying pre treated fabrics to do photos on or doing your own?? if your own, look at
    www.dharmatradingco.com for bubble jet set and rinse products.

  4. #4
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,622
    I'd move quick on this also, never know how health can take a quick turn.

    If seeing relatives at the holidays can take fabric markers, follow isntructions on the package, and have loved ones write there name, or words of encouragement, then follow above advise for photos, think several ways to do this.
    Wash at home for the best results.

    Take Care, know how it is to face tough situations.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wilbur, WA
    Posts
    762
    You might also want to check with the nursing home. My husband's grandmother's home recommended that people not have things like this because they launder them so often and things disappear very easily.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    717
    You might consider a wall hanging where it wouldn't need to be washed but could be hung where she could see it every day.

  7. #7
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I don't want to be morbid, but I urge you to re-think that you have plenty of time. My father started with slight dementia and a year later was dead from Alzheimer's. Don't delay in making this quilt so she will have time to cherish it. My avatar was to be Daddy's sampler. I didn't finish it in time.
    I am sorry that you didn't have time to give your quilt to your Daddy. You have given me food for thought, though we can never know what God's timeline is for us or for our loved ones. And I know this from personal experience, having lost my Daddy within 4 months of his cancer diagnosis, my Momma withing 3 months of hers, and just this week, my dear sweet stillborn stepgreat-nephew. I do the best I can with what I have, one day at a time. (((hugs)))

  8. #8
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    are you buying pre treated fabrics to do photos on or doing your own?? if your own, look at
    www.dharmatradingco.com for bubble jet set and rinse products.
    Don't know enough about pretreated fabrics vs doing my own.
    Thank you for the link - I will definitely research it.

  9. #9
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    I'd move quick on this also, never know how health can take a quick turn.

    If seeing relatives at the holidays can take fabric markers, follow isntructions on the package, and have loved ones write there name, or words of encouragement, then follow above advise for photos, think several ways to do this.
    Wash at home for the best results.

    Take Care, know how it is to face tough situations.
    Great idea, seeings how we will be spending Christmas day with my husband's family. I can have them do this then. Plus, they will probably like being a part of this.

  10. #10
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    4,052
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    You might also want to check with the nursing home. My husband's grandmother's home recommended that people not have things like this because they launder them so often and things disappear very easily.
    I had thought of this, and probably will check with them before getting too far into this project. Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.