Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for fabric samples...

Ideas for fabric samples...

I've been given sample fabric books from a local interior decorator that are being discontinued. Have any of you used these before? Would appreciate your comments or suggestions!

If the fabric is too heavy for quilts, I have seen nice bags and purses made out of them.
    A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars!

What abour placemats?
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37 View Post
    If the fabric is too heavy for quilts, I have seen nice bags and purses made out of them.
    Most decorator fabric can still be used for a heavy duty quilt-----------just keep the pattern very simple.

Other ideas
    Mug Rugs
    tissue covers
    glasses cases
    all the purse accessories folks here make
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

They can be used for scrap quilts, applique piecing, doll/mni quilts, crazy quilts, backings, pincushions, mugrugs, coasters, making sample blocks, Kids quilts, etc. The list is endless. I miss playing with fabric samples as the shop I use to get them (and I worked at) closed. She would get tons of them and then sell them by the pound.

Tricia
    http://tricia-ramblingsofaquilter.blogspot.com/
    Currently working on a "Flat Curtis" Quilt with boy child . He would like to TRADE some fabrics from each state FC travels to.

Several years ago one of the ladies in my guild got a lot of fabric samples from a local furniture shop. We used them to make bags and donated them to an abused women's shelter. More recently my DD gave me a lot of decorator samples from her workplace, but I was tired of making bags. I've made 4 or 5 comfort quilts so far and have enough fabric to make a bunch more - here's one of them.

Quilt made from upholstery fabric samples

I have had some. Some of the things depending on type of fabric are crazy quilts, bags, placemats, some of the fabrics that are heavier are good for what you would use denim for. I have a friend who uses the fabric samples with the funny coating on the back for quilts for the homeless. The backing makes them more waterproof. The "ugly" quilts don't get stolen from them.

I use them in my Crazy Quilts, they are perfect for them!!