Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Firefighter Quilt >

Ideas for Firefighter Quilt

Ideas for Firefighter Quilt

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Ideas for Firefighter Quilt

HI! Hope you quilter friends can help...our local fire companys are all volunteers and need donations to help with equipment & upkeep of equipment & the firehouses. So, lately they have been having auctions of donated items to help raise money. Last year I made a 'throw' with all the local companies names, fire trucks, etc... They asked for another quilt for this year....NOW, I could use some great ideas, patterns, for a great firefighter quilt!!! THANKS!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

What about just using firefighter fabric with any pattern you like ? Disappearing nine patch- Warm wishes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Would a t-shirt quilt interest you? This is NOT my quilt, it was displayed at a show. I thought it was awesome!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309848[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails firefighter.jpg   firefighter2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM

One more - a close-up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309851[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails firefighter3.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

Look for PP patterns ... I bet there's some good ones with fire trucks, ladders, equipment etc.
People would really go for the detail.

Another idea ... do some smaller projects. More people will buy, and it's more affordable to many ... and yet they will pay the higher than normal price because of the theme work.

Of course, you don't have to do a firefighting theme!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have made 3 firefighter quilts. The first was a gift from our fire dept to NYFD right after 9/11. It was all R/W/B stars. The second was a lot of various house blocks, set in a forest with a river. I labeled it Home Protection. The third was an outline of a man in a helmet against a background of fire. The one that was merely maple leaves got the best results.
Attached Thumbnails 001-4-.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have made 3 firefighter quilts. The first was a gift from our fire dept to NYFD right after 9/11. It was all R/W/B stars. The second was a lot of various house blocks, set in a forest with a river. I labeled it Home Protection. The third was an outline of a man in a helmet against a background of fire. The one that was merely maple leaves got the best results.
QM, I'd love to see a picture of the silhouette of a man against the fire.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 AM

Like QM, when I did a quilt for our Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary as a fundraiser, I went with something non-fire related. Thought it would have broader appeal and it would, therefore, generate more money. I did a red/white/blue pinwheel lap sized quilt. Raised several hundred dollars with a raffle.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 AM

I think you are great for doing this!!! does it have to be frefighter fabrics or themed? you could do something in oranges and reds to symbolize flames. I do think there would maybe be more to buy tickets on a quilt that is suitable for all walks of life. You could make a label dedicating the quilt to the firefighters. Let us know what you do

I too would love to see the quilt that had the outline of the man in it!!! Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Ellageo,
Why not consider making a 'generic' quilt but create a label stating something along the lines of "Name FD of Name town/city thanks you for your support, etc. As a quilter and wife of a firefighter, I have to say, I would not care for a quilt with fire equipment, units, apparatus and gear in my house. I would probably attempt donating it to our Town Office for display.

best,
d