Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Ladies retreat >

Ideas for Ladies retreat

Ideas for Ladies retreat

Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 AM

I would really like to make one of these. My hubby is home bound and falls asleep a lot in the recliner and his head hangs. I think this would help him. We don't want to keep him in bed so we get him out and into the recliner. He usually dozes off while watching TV. I will e-mail you. Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 AM

How about making blocks for a children's quilt to donate to a hospital or the state patrol for accident victim or a lap quilt for a nursing home resident? With only 45 minutes allotted and no sewing machines, each could make a simple block such as a 9-patch, perhaps from precut pieces. Of course, someone (your daughter) would need to finish it later. The women could chip in on the cost of the materials. I believe they'd end up feeling good that they made and donated something.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

There are some great ideas here.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM

At one Girl Scout Adult retreat, we made a cute little wall decoration using back pockets from old blue jeans and dried flowers. Cut out the pockets, trimming close to stitching. Choose your flowers and arrange in the pocket. Glue down flowers with hot glue guns. Take a length of twine (macrame jute works very well) and hot glue on both corners inside the pocket to make a hanger.

You can make a nice necklace using leather lacing and various beads. Measure lacing for twice the length of the finished necklace. in center of lacing, tie a knot. Start stringing beads on lacing, tying a knot between each bead, alternating either side of center knot, until beads are the length you want, then finish with a knot. Measure lacing to length of necklace. To make clasp, knot a bead on one end and make a loop on the other end.