Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas needed please for chemo comforter >

Ideas needed please for chemo comforter

Ideas needed please for chemo comforter

Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 AM

Thank you so much for all your ideas and Grannie Annie I never thought about fleece and hairs,they do have a dog at home too,she has her kidney removed on 15th December poor mite .
Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 AM

I made several baby quilts and used flannel for the top, polyester batting for the center and lightweight fleece for the backing. They are so soft and cuddly. I will make more!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 AM

As an alternative finish for fleece, I have seen a rotary cutter that "perforates" the fleece at JoAnn's. (I believe it's made by Simplicity.) Run a straight stitch 1/4" from the edge of the fleece to give a cutting line and perforate with the blade. Then single crochet the edge with yarn. Gives a flatter surface and all of the yardage is utilized for covering instead of the fringe. This can be done with a single layer of fleece or double layers if they are not very thick.

As a variation of the I Spy, do a Match Game Quilt. There should be 2 blocks that match.

A word of caution about putting names in plain view for others to see if the quilt will be taken out in public. Same caution that they say not to put a child's name on backpacks or clothes. Unfortunately we have predators in our world. A label might be small enough to identify the quilt's owner but not announce her name to all who see her when she's not at home.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:45 AM

I made a pink and white zipper quilt for my friend a few weeks ago, she loved it. (It's Jenny Doan's pattern)
I made it in two nights, came out cute being only two colors.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:05 AM

I agree with My-Ty...a fast fleece quilt, perhaps Frozen fleece.

My thoughts will be with this little girl.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Prayers for the little girl and her family. Fleece is nice but everything sticks to it, hair, lint etc.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Pretty Cotton Prints cut into 8 inch Squares/sew. 1 piece of Backing fabric in solid color + thinner batting... Sew and leave turning hole ( do it the birthing style) turn right side out press around the edges, sew the opening shut, top stitch about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in from edge all around. You can easy Quilt or even just tie it every 4 inches with Embroidery Floss using colors from the Fabric... I have made several of these smaller comforters for kids and babies.. They are fast and easy to do... made 2 for baby Showers in 1 day...What a nice thing to do... Suggested prints- Flowers, Birds, Kids Prints, stripes, stars, dots etc.... Great Heart...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM

I, too, recommend the I Spy. It can be very simple or as complex as you wish to make it. The kids love them and it's a great way to spend time between treatments, etc. I use fleece backing and no one ever had a problem with it.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM

My oldest Grand daughter is a survivor of Leukemia she loved anything that was made for her personally. She didn't care care if it was a perfect work of art, just the the thought that people cared to send her something of comfort. Something for her head to hide the loss of hair, something to keep her warm, or something to keep her mind occupied. She is now in college with a lot of draw backs from the chemo ect. SHE ONCE TOLD ME>>>Gammy I have old woman's diseases! She was devastated. But she is a strong young woman now and pursuing her dreams of being a psychologist. I know she will do good, she is and always has been a fighter!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:15 AM

My son's mother in law is going thru chemo and this week I'm going to take fleece and make her a blanket. I want to put a lable on it saying "may God, the love of family and this blanket keep you warm". She's lost so much weight and I know how cold you get the less you weigh. The fleece is one that has words on it like Faith, believe all inspirational and loving.