Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas, please?  Great-grandmother's quilt pieces >

Ideas, please? Great-grandmother's quilt pieces

Ideas, please? Great-grandmother's quilt pieces

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

You are the most creative folks I know...please help me with a design or idea to use pieces from a quilt made by my great-grandmother. Granny King made a number of quilts and when they were passed down (after years of use) from my grandmother, several of them were just "cutters." And I ended up with one of them. Most of the colors are still nice and I would like to do something with them and display them in my sewing room.

They are too fragile to make them into something to use. I thought about framing them but I live in a humid coastal climate and don't think they would do well enclosed in a frame.

My current thought is to set them somehow and make a wall hanging. I have a perfect spot for a long narrowish hanging in a place where there is no direct sunlight.

What are your ideas? For anything I could make or do to display these pieces????

Two pieces each roughly 13 x 15
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204813[/ATTACH]

Larger piece that has several good areas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204814[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204807.jpe   attachment-204808.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Your wall hanging idea is a great one ... set them with some of that medium/dark blue that is in each of them

I've also seen old quilts re-made into stuffed 3-D Teddy Bears.

If you like the idea of framing ... how about skipping the glass? that should solve your fear about humidity and framing. I've seen old quilt sections and blocks nicely framed up in the four (or more) sectioned antique window frames.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Your wall hanging idea is a great one ... set them with some of that medium/dark blue that is in each of them

I've also seen old quilts re-made into stuffed 3-D Teddy Bears.

If you like the idea of framing ... how about skipping the glass? that should solve your fear about humidity and framing. I've seen old quilt sections and blocks nicely framed up in the four (or more) sectioned antique window frames.
:thumbup:
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Another thought ........ as part of the wall hanging, one of the sections could include the story of the block origins. Be sure to include your Great Grandmother's full name, home location, birth/death info and any other info you know about her quilting story.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM

Another thought ........ as part of the wall hanging, one of the sections could include the story of the block origins. Be sure to include your Great Grandmother's full name, home location, birth/death info and any other info you know about her quilting story.
That's a good reminder....I could make a label or block that includes her photo. She lived to be 91...died in 1949 just a few months before I was born.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

What treasures for you! I also like the frame w/o glass idea :)
Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnitaSt
That's a good reminder....I could make a label or block that includes her photo. She lived to be 91...died in 1949 just a few months before I was born.
Absolutely, the photo would be a perfect addition!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Baste them on a length of antique or antique look fabric in medium tone,with a border all around for a frame. Add memories/details of the family on separate fabric pieces between the quilt remnants. If pictures are available, fabric transfers could be added. . You might also do minimal quilting around each feature. How wonderful to have something of your great-grand!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Cyn

Great ideas! Post pics please :)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM

How about some throw pillows? and/or a small wall hanging. I just love these old quilts. They just are so warm and endearing.