Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Twin Size quilt with baseball fabric

Ideas for Twin Size quilt with baseball fabric

My DBIL is a Yankee fan and they are decorating the room around that theme. I promised a twin sized quilt. There will be a very nice Yankees photo, "baseball bean bag chair" and a few other Yankee decorations. I bought 1.5 yards of this fabric: http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...50112062705.c4

I planned to buy a coordinating navy (yes, it is navy in the background although it REALLY looks black, even in the store until I stood near a window), a possibly gray.

Ideas for a quilt pattern? I limited myself only by the quantity of the baseball fabric. I can buy alot of navy and gray.

I have been searching through numerous magazines and quilt books and have yet to be inspired...

BTW, I can piece, PP, and hand applique but run screaming away from Y seams.

Blog Entries
    How about the snowball block using the baseball fabric as the ball.
    Joyce

Thanks for the suggestion. As I only have 1.5 yards of the baseball fabric, I feel I would run short of fabric. I am still looking on-line for that perfect pattern. This is usually my biggest stumbling block... picking pattern and coordinating fabric.

Name:  FEB 2011001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 638
Size:  96.1 KBName:  jan 2011001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 628
Size:  45.7 KB Would either of these ideas work for you?

I would make the blocks out of the baseball fabric- 5 or 6 inch- with the dark fabric as sashing. As a border I would use the sashing with a narrow accent color like a red or yellow and then another border exactly like the sashing. I would make the binding scalloped out of the baseball fabric to accent the balls. It sounds very plain, but with all the other decorative details in the room I think it would be striking in it's simplicity. Use the accent color for a pillowcase and a throw pillow in the chair. Let the quilting design bring the quilt from plain to out-of-this-world! No simple stitch in the ditch or meanderings - go for broke with a good LA.

Blog Entries
    I'm making this one and adding borders with the baseball glove, bat, bases, fabric I have.

http://mattandshari.com/quilting/sew...quilt-new.html

Power Poster
    If you are looking for a pieced quilt using baseball fabric, there was one in Quiltmaker May/June 2012 titled Batter Up. It was designed by Jocelyn Ueng and it is kind of a snowball block with diamonds and triangles on the side that gives it movement.

Something simple with the baseball fabric as the focus might work well, like Warm Wishes or a D9P...or there is a pattern called Square in Square 2 that might work. Or Take 5?

Too many ideas? Let me see if I have any pictures. I prefer using a focus fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Blog Entries
    I would applique the Yankee logo in a large center block and build out from there with the snowball blocks with sashings and borders
    Sewflower

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Name:  FEB 2011001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 638
Size:  96.1 KBName:  jan 2011001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 628
Size:  45.7 KB Would either of these ideas work for you?
    I love both of these!!!!! the first looks like a football stadium. And I love the way you made the snowballs look like baseballs
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast