Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If all else fails................. >

If all else fails.................

If all else fails.................

Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Men.. what would we do without them?? (don't answer that, I'm not looking for an answer, I can think of too many on my own!!)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Aw, glad he saved you some money!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Nurture this. I love it when my DH bends over my machine with care in his face. He's gentle and caring with it, not frustrated like I get, so always seems to be able to solve my problem. Let him know how wonderful it is that he was so smart to find what you had missed and how great it will be in the future any time you run into a snag!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
seems some bobbin thread got caught up on the drum parts (whatever the heck he's talking about) and he cleaned it out...and now it works beautifully!!!! :thumbup: :mrgreen: The hard part is looking at that smirk on his face........ :hunf:
If your bobbin shuttle is metal you need to put one drop of oil in the shuttle area and then run the machine for awhile without thread or fabric. This will keep it running smoothly.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 PM

All I can say is...MEN!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
seems some bobbin thread got caught up on the drum parts (whatever the heck he's talking about) and he cleaned it out...and now it works beautifully!!!! :thumbup: :mrgreen: The hard part is looking at that smirk on his face........ :hunf:
If your bobbin shuttle is metal you need to put one drop of oil in the shuttle area and then run the machine for awhile without thread or fabric. This will keep it running smoothly.
Love the responses everyone....glad I'm not the only one!! And yes, I LOVE the money he saves me. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I may never get a new washer and dryer though!!!!!

mzsooz -- I'd not heard of running the machine without thread........to distribute the oil. I DID oil it though!!! I'll try that, too. Seems to me the bobbin "snags" rather than is tight, so that may be the answer! You may have saved me more $$! I was going to order a new bobbin case!!! Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Dee, I have to say that I laughed when I read your story. I would think the same thing, why would my hubby even think he could find something that I, as an experienced sewer, could not find. I would have slightly angry words toward my hubby, sounds like you held your tongue just fine. :lol:

I just got a used Bernina that I haven't used much. I'm wondering if I need to oil in that area too, so I'm curious how you make out doing that. I don't imagine it would hurt anything to oil it.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Love the responses everyone....glad I'm not the only one!! And yes, I LOVE the money he saves me. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I may never get a new washer and dryer though!!!!!

mzsooz -- I'd not heard of running the machine without thread........to distribute the oil. I DID oil it though!!! I'll try that, too. Seems to me the bobbin "snags" rather than is tight, so that may be the answer! You may have saved me more $$! I was going to order a new bobbin case!!! Thanks!
I learned this from a sewing machine repairman. It is a regular part of my maintenance now.

Oh... and I think I didn't mention running it without the bobbin case in when you oil it.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I love when I can save money that way. Those guys love it when they can fix something. It is hard to put up with that self satisfied smirk though. Just keep telling yourself that saved money will soon be spent on fabric and smile yourself.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM

My husband can fix just about anything. But when it comes to my sewing machine, I cringe. Especially when he sits at it and dosn't know what he is looking at or how it works. I have so far been able to solve all issues.