Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) >

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :)

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

I agree, I don't want to become a hoarder! It would be easy to do with the fabric I have, but, I DO see what I have as over-much..therefore, I have decided NOT to buy like I have been. If I can skip a month, every other month, that would be a boone, or do what I am doing, organizing my fabric so I can SEE what I DO have and then can shop from my stash. THAT is a much better idea..then buying more to become a hoarder. uffda..not a happy thought!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM

OK, to answer your question, in my house it would never take over more than one room. If I had a room, that is. I could never bring myself to pay for a storage unit. A bus in the backyard is out of the question.

I'd say my limit would be whatever can be neatly stored in a bedroom when one becomes available.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
I agree, I don't want to become a hoarder! It would be easy to do with the fabric I have, but, I DO see what I have as over-much..therefore, I have decided NOT to buy like I have been. If I can skip a month, every other month, that would be a boone, or do what I am doing, organizing my fabric so I can SEE what I DO have and then can shop from my stash. THAT is a much better idea..then buying more to become a hoarder. uffda..not a happy thought!
oh, I have no plans to buy any more, right now. I'm going to do like you and shop from my stash!
I just want to hear how ppl stash it?
some just let it get messy. I can't...I'd go crazy...for real, I'd be a babbling idiot...no offense y'all, that's just MY trigger, lol...
if it doesn't bother you and you can still create...I can't.
We all gotta do, what we gotta do, right?:thumbup:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
OK, to answer your question, in my house it would never take over more than one room. If I had a room, that is. I could never bring myself to pay for a storage unit. A bus in the backyard is out of the question.

I'd say my limit would be whatever can be neatly stored in a bedroom when one becomes available.
I love you, lisa, wannabequilter! you got me:thumbup:
...and that's not easy to do :wink:
I can't fit anymore in my sewing room, and I really don't want to go looking for it in another room...so I think I am pretty near my limit.
I'm not paying for storage units either...that's out!
A bus? no way...not in Florida...crawlies!
If it's not in an insulated building, with the heat here, it wouldn't make it.
I guess my answer is one streeeetchy, room, LOL! :shock:
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

I fall into the "one room's worth" category. And not one room crammed so full you can't get in anymore, but accessibly stored. Even that would be too much for me, but then I don't have one room that can be turned into storage for craft/hobby stuff. In my house, if the bins holding stuff can't be stored unobtrusively, then they don't get filled.

My grandfather was a hoarder, and when he died and the house had to be emptied, we actually found a room nobody realized existed because of all the stuff piled in front of the doorway. The trouble with that kind of volume, is that it can overwhelm people trying to go through everything in a limited amount of time and good stuff ends up just being pitched out. For example, we threw out three wringer washing machines in new condition. A shame that shouldn't happen.
Good for you for being willing to take things as they come to you.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM

My dh and I live in a 3 bedroom house, 1 mbr to sleep, his room and my room. All my fabric is restricted to my room by my choice. My mom collects "things" and the clutter (although spotlessly clean) drives me crazy. Even when my sewing room gets out of sorts I start freaking. And I made a pact to not buy new fabric in 2010 unless I was given a gift card to a fabric store.
So far, 25 days into Jan and I've held true. So my answer to you:
one 10x10 bedroom's worth. :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
I fall into the "one room's worth" category. And not one room crammed so full you can't get in anymore, but accessibly stored. Even that would be too much for me, but then I don't have one room that can be turned into storage for craft/hobby stuff. In my house, if the bins holding stuff can't be stored unobtrusively, then they don't get filled.

My grandfather was a hoarder, and when he died and the house had to be emptied, we actually found a room nobody realized existed because of all the stuff piled in front of the doorway. The trouble with that kind of volume, is that it can overwhelm people trying to go through everything in a limited amount of time and good stuff ends up just being pitched out. For example, we threw out three wringer washing machines in new condition. A shame that shouldn't happen.
Good for you for being willing to take things as they come to you.
I am trying to work on WIP's this year and pare down. I think mom's stash is about depleted, down there.
Man, I look at some of the prices on the tags:roll:
If it weren't for the fact that she crafted too, I would say she would have had me beat in the fabrics...she did some of everything!
My body won't let me get that far out there, lol!
When I get quilts made, i might have to stack them on this twin bed in here though.
that'll be a laugh. I haven't made a single thing for myself yet... :-D
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
My dh and I live in a 3 bedroom house, 1 mbr to sleep, his room and my room. All my fabric is restricted to my room by my choice. My mom collects "things" and the clutter (although spotlessly clean) drives me crazy. Even when my sewing room gets out of sorts I start freaking. And I made a pact to not buy new fabric in 2010 unless I was given a gift card to a fabric store.
So far, 25 days into Jan and I've held true. So my answer to you:
one 10x10 bedroom's worth. :-D :-D :-D
ahh! a fellow cleaner, purple!:-D
It seems that quilters are either on one end of the spectrum or go way to the other end.:wink:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Well, I now have two empty good sized bedrooms. What the heck, the kids can sleep on the floor when they visit :oops: But seriously, i guess I'm not sure how much I would keep. If it was stuff I really loved, I would try to keep most of it. If it was stuff that I liked, but not loved, I think I would keep some and take some to my quilt group to share. If it started really getting in the way or I got to a point where I knew I wouldn't use it, then I would start sorting and divesting because there is always going to be new stuff that I am just going to have to have. Besides, it would be fun to see what others would make of it and I like to share.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

As much as I can fit in my sewing room... Did I mention that I switched my bedroom to the smaller of the two :roll: LMBO