Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Someone Made a Quilt for You >

If Someone Made a Quilt for You

If Someone Made a Quilt for You

Old 01-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Default If Someone Made a Quilt for You

If you knew in advance that you were getting a quilt as a gift, what would make your eyes light up?

Since I am absolutely NO GOOD at needle turn applique, I would love to have something in this venue. I have seen many picture of quilts like this, and they always make me gasp. Maybe someday I will attempt it again, and see if I can get better at it.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM

I agree. Something like the Baltimore Album type blocks would just knock my socks off. But I would have a tremendous appreciation for anything anyone took the time to make just for me, including a sweater with 2 different size arms! Hand made items give me a sense of love that no amount of money can give. But I have never returned or regifted either. Makes for a lot of clutter, but it's the thought that counts!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

are you receiving or giving. it depends on whos giving it what I would expect. my some with my help made one at 7 yrs. old. that's a treasure, and one at 9 and 11, if someone else made them for me, I wouldn't appreciate them, just basic, but oh so special to me.
Have you tried machine app. I shyed away from it for years, and little did I now how great I was at it. try machine
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM

I would love to be 'gifted' with a beautifully embellished Crazy Patch quilt with lovely silks, velvets, beads, laces etc etc.... I am actually kind of planning a small version for myself..just in the planning stages....
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
are you receiving or giving. it depends on whos giving it what I would expect. my some with my help made one at 7 yrs. old. that's a treasure, and one at 9 and 11, if someone else made them for me, I wouldn't appreciate them, just basic, but oh so special to me.
Have you tried machine app. I shyed away from it for years, and little did I now how great I was at it. try machine
I have done many in the machine applique. That is all I am comfortable with. Tried once to do the needle turn, but it was very lumpy. I felt I had wasted fabric. Good thing it was just a small trial piece.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Anything would make me happy.

I am the only crafter out of everyone I know irl so a simple patch work would make me bawl I'd be so happy
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I guess I'm weird but I would not want anyone to make a quilt for me since I make them myself. I LOVE it when people bring me back a thimble from their travels though.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM

I absolutely love any handmade gifts that the person made themselves. To me it shows the person thought enough of me to make it.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
If you knew in advance that you were getting a quilt as a gift, what would make your eyes light up?

Since I am absolutely NO GOOD at needle turn applique, I would love to have something in this venue. I have seen many picture of quilts like this, and they always make me gasp. Maybe someday I will attempt it again, and see if I can get better at it.
Storm at Sea out of the fabrics that I have stashed away
Old 01-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
I would love to be 'gifted' with a beautifully embellished Crazy Patch quilt with lovely silks, velvets, beads, laces etc etc.... I am actually kind of planning a small version for myself..just in the planning stages....
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'll take one of those, too!