Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could have any iron which would it be?? >

If you could have any iron which would it be??

If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM

Default If you could have any iron which would it be??

Hi,

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but if you could have any iron you wished what would it be. I am wanting to treat myself to a new iron (one I have is about 25 years old). I am drooling over the Oliso irons but have read the odd complaint about the feet not working. Reliable are readily available in my area but do not appeal to me as much. Rowenta is also available. For those of you who have used any of these which would you chose.

Thanks for your input,
Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM

My iron is a Black & Decker "The Classic" Iron. It has some weight to it, which I like. It isn't overly big, and does a good job. Purchased at Wallmart.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM

I love my Oliso 1600 iron that I purchased for myself. I purchased it from Nancy's Notions, using their installment purchase deal, and then purchased an extended warranty from Oliso direct. So I have a fabulous iron that is totally guaranteed for 5 years. To me it is a great deal on a great iron. I LOVE my Oliso iron. I have had it for almost a year and have had NO issues with it. It has been a godsend in dealing with my arthritis and destroyed shoulder. No more picking up and setting it down. I didn't think it would matter that much, but it really does. And with the extended warranty, it is a complete replacement for 5 years. It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I have a Sunbeam turbo steam master and a Proctor Silex (smaller and lighter). The smaller PS gets hotter for me and is mainly to take to a guild if I ever join. Sunbeam is heavier and I use it on yardage after ironing after prewashing. If I can get 5 years out of them I'll be happy. Already have 2 out of the Sunbeam. we'll see.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

My last iron was a GE. It lasted over 30 years
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

I've had several irons through the years, some great, some not.

I've had 2 for the last few years that I use pretty much every day, and so far love them both.
The 1st one is a dry iron that has a solid sole plate. I usually use a spray bottle anyway, and this iron gets very hot, has a lil weight to it, and without any holes in the sole plate, it doesn't catch on the edges of some of my blocks. Like sometimes if I'm pressing a small hst block, my regular iron will catch on the block, and crinkle it up. This iron also does NOT have auto shut off.
Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-El...words=dry+iron

My other "go to" iron is a Panasonic. It has a U shaped titanium sole plate that is supposed to circulate and disperse the steam better. I can't say if that claim is true, as I don't use steam. I always use a spray bottle. I can say it is lightweight and glides smoothly and effortlessly over my fabrics, and I haven't had any issues with it. Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-E...panasonic+iron

I noticed there's another Panasonic advertised, looks similar, but has a different model #, and I'm sure there are other differences, as it's quite a bit cheaper, I don't know anything about it, but here's a link to it, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-E...panasonic+iron

I've debated the Oliso irons, but as with all things, I've read some great reviews, and some not great ones. With the money they cost, I just never have made the "jump"...

Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 02-17-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 PM

If I could have any iron and money was no object , I would pick a commercial grade ( the type used at the dry cleaners) that has a separate boiler and a separate ironing head. These are truly heavy duty and produce LOTS of steam.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM

I would like to purchase a dry iron that is 1600 watts or higher, with a stainless-steel soleplate and NO auto turnoff. But I don't think such an iron exists, or at least I can't find it, even after exhaustive research. Boo hoo.

Cheryl
Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I would like to purchase a dry iron that is 1600 watts or higher, with a stainless-steel soleplate and NO auto turnoff. But I don't think such an iron exists, or at least I can't find it, even after exhaustive research. Boo hoo.

Cheryl
On the Oliso, you can shut off the steam completely. It has a stainless-steel soleplate. It does have an auto-shutoff, but it is standing up, the shut off is at 20 min. When you touch it after a shutoff, it takes it less than 20 seconds to fully reheat.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM

I recently bought the Continental dry iron and I love it. It's not overly big, has a nice weight to it and doesn't shut off.

I don't know if the soleplate is stainless or aluminum but it just glides across the fabric. I also don't know the wattage but it gets good and hot.

I bought mine from Amazon (much cheaper than Vermont Country Store) but I think they are also sold at Lowe's and or Home Depot.