Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you donate quilts do you...? >

If you donate quilts do you...?

If you donate quilts do you...?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Call the hospital where you want to donate before cutting any fabric. They may have specific requirements of donated items such as sizes, fabrics, battings and quilt density. They also may have pattern suggestions. The Hospital where I donate quilts wants all new fabrics, poly batting because of allergies, a denser quilting than normal (quilts get washed frequently), and no black or black print fabrics. It seems like a lot of rules for charity, but there are reasons for everything.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM

here's what i was taught in my quilt guild.... buy a queen size batting, fold in half, cut on fold, fold each half in half the other direction and cut on fold again...that way, one queen size batt gives you 4 baby quilts...now make your quilt to fit the batt... this also means the quilt bat is 45 x 54... a nice size for baby quilts... AND you can use one length of 45" fabric for backing...I DO have to check for the 45...or buy 60 on sale... knit, fleece, upholstery fabric, and some cotton wovens are wide enough to use without piecing. even if you pay a bit more, it's only one length so cheaper in the longrun... it's easy to resize your blocks to fit the 45" width, go for easy, wash flannel at least twice, but 3 times is better...it keeps shrinking more than once.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

BrendaM ... as your fellow Canuck here ... I'll echo about the importance of checking on any specifications the hospital has. Better to know now, than to do all your work and find out that they are rejected. (and yes, perhaps your niece has given you all that detail.)

Another idea would be to make FUN pillow cases for the kids. I know some hospitals welcome them ... and of course, some would totally refuse them, as not being the regular bed linens.

How good of you to want to do this for the kids!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM

Since you live in Canada ... add the batting. If you were here in Arizona then maybe not.

ali
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks again Ladies for the great info! The material is about to be washed for the third time now and just waiting to hear from neice for sizes.
Thanks again!!