Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you had a request for a "neutral" bed quilt, what would that mean to you? >

If you had a request for a "neutral" bed quilt, what would that mean to you?

If you had a request for a "neutral" bed quilt, what would that mean to you?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Several years ago I made a tablecloth for our dining room
table. It was all"neutrals" as I would put it. At that time I was able to find a lot of tone on tone in various
shades of cream, off white, light biege (you get the picture)
I used alternating blocks of a 9 patch and (what do you
call the block where you have four different fabrics. They
would be like a 4" block cut diagonally both ways so you
have four triangles meeting their points in the center of the block. Every time I use it I get compliments..it is
just so soft looking and blends so well, goes with anything
and everything.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 PM

I did one for my niece when she got married, and that is what she wanted. I pp their last name in the center and did flying geese around that to create a "medallion" effect. then I did a small border then another simple block all the way around. Finished with another border. I did it all scrappy but only using wow, com, tans and pale grays. I came out really pretty. And, best of all, she LOVED it! I would post a picture of it but my computer is messed up and will not obey that command :cry:
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Mom may be right but she may be throwing personal preference in it too. When I worked at Sears years ago I had 2 incindences that totally changed perspectives.
1- an old friend was asked by her boyfriend to decorate his house. She came in and bought all rugged and manly looking things. Next time I saw her I asked what he thought of it. She said- oh he loved it and now I have to live with the stuff because he asked me to marry him right after it was done- had I known first I would never have picked that stuff.
2- A quiet spoken very tall body builder came into the home interiors department one night with all the window measurements etc for his home. After several house of helping him, we stepped to the registar. As I took the money from him he said- the house is ready now all I need is someone to share it with.-He clasped my hand in his as I took the money. A moment of panic swept over me before I uttered- And I'm sure you'll meet her in time.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ails_trail.htm

This one would look awesome in tans and creams and beigh's in all tones like a scrappy quilt.... NO brown
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 AM

Creams, tans, and light browns like sand colors are considered neutrals, I think.

But I agree with the others who said to ask the bride her preference. You spend too much time on such a thing to not be sure! And if I were the bride, I'd want someone to ask me before making something so personal for my bedroom that I was expected to use.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Do the couple have a wish list? It is proper to ask the couple what colors they want in a gift. The quilt will then be very personal to them, and maybe not put up until later.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Do the couple have a wish list? It is proper to ask the couple what colors they want in a gift. The quilt will then be very personal to them, and maybe not put up until later.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I had a request for a Wedding Quilt and the colour palette I was given was 'Pebbles and Cream'!!! I took this as a neutral palette!! This was my interpretation!! Just lots of soft beiges, pinks, turquoises,blues and creams!! They were delighted with it!!!!
what is the name of this pattern??/Please
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I had a request for a Wedding Quilt and the colour palette I was given was 'Pebbles and Cream'!!! I took this as a neutral palette!! This was my interpretation!! Just lots of soft beiges, pinks, turquoises,blues and creams!! They were delighted with it!!!!
Hilary, your quilt is beautiful! Your use of muted soft colors as neutrals is very effective. I've added it to my "bucket list".