Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you have used glue in place of basting....

If you have used glue in place of basting....

If you use glue instead of basting or pinning - when you sew through the places where there is glue - does it make the needle sticky?

I have been very curious about this.

Thanks

I have only used glue on small items, but once the glue is dry, it does not gum up on the needle. I could not even tell there was glue on the fabric. I ironed it dry, but some leave it to dry naturally. Either way, I wouldn't think it a problem. I am hooked on the glue!

Power Poster
    If the Elmer's washable glue is dry it is not sticky. I did have a couple of places where the stitch was off a bit if the glue was thick, so smooth it out well. Drying overnight is recommended. The quilt will end to be washed when done because it feels like cornflakes to the sandwich.

I glue a solid line very close to the edge of the fabric, so it's actually not even IN the sew path. I squeeze the container ever-so-gently so only a little comes out, and smear the dots as they come out so it's not in 'dots' on the fabric, but a nice thin line. Then I press-til-dry, and then sew.

Blog Entries
    Elmer's white washable school glue is actually a thick starch so, when dry, you are simply sewing through starch.

I'll chime in to say that I haven't had any problems with the glue basting. Needle goes through fine, no gumming, nice result. I'm getting ready to glue baste another one as soon as I get the backing in order.
    Alyce

Oh, right, SNR...sandwiching. I have not yet used glue for sandwiching. I suppose if I did, I would still smear til super-thin, and either press or let dry overnight to avoid any potential needle issues.
    (But I really like spray-baste for that step, so shouldn't be blathering on about the topic here )

I recently started using Elmers for matching seams instead of pinning. At first I was very careful not to use too much glue. Now I don't pay that much attention and I never have a problem.

Blog Entries
    No problems or sticky needles sewing through elmer's school glue!

Nan
    http://napquilting.com/
    http://alturl.com/euusk

My GOAL is always to ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Washable school glue is all I use since I tried it the very first time.....never any issues machine sewing through it, even the "lumpy" spots....and never a gummy needle (way better than spray basting).....I let mine air dry for about an hour, then flip and do the other side.....don't be bashful, give it a try!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast