Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut... >

If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut...

If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut...

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Well, yes, I lose about 1/4"...but that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1-6" I've lost, many times, because of a wonky cut...
Agreed! At least if it is torn you know it is on the grain of the fabric!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM

I also always buy at least a 1/2m extra to put in my stash and/or compensate for my own mistakes...so I can't really say that I use every last bit of fabric...well...ever.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM

Prefer tearing so I can see if it is really off grain or not. I also tear my fabric after washing at home. Selvages and all, then press and it is ready for the rotary cutter. Guess old habits are hard to break. Was taught to tear by my home-ec teacher 50+ years ago and it stuck. Hobby Lobby will not tear but LQS will if you prefer.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
Hobby Lobby is very good at giving extra..Wal-mart no..I went to Joann's for the first time the other day and won't go back. the fabric was cut so bad.. when I said something to the lady about giving a little extra to even it up she got mad and made sure she didn't give a bit more then what I asked for. She even pulled and stretched it to be what I asked for.. So ugly!! Won't go back ever!!
The same exact thing happened to me just this past week at one of my LQSs! I had gone out of my way to stop by that store while running some errands, but I won't be going back there either. Luckily for me, the Jo-Ann store closest to my house has awesome staff at the cutting table and I have several wonderful LQSs nearby, also. The Jo-Anns in Ahwatukee is nowhere near as good.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 PM

I normally order from Handcocks or my LSQ. The Handcocks always come with extra and a straight cut. My LQS cuts straight and I watch if the beginning is straight, if not I call their attention to it and they do the right thing or they can keep it.

I do tear fabrics for projects tho. I tear on the lenght of grain if I am making a strip quilt. I can't see cutting hundreds of strips and wearing my arm out. If there is a lot of yardage, I cut it into half yard lenghts and tear from there. As long as it's good fabric, it won't fray much.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM

I like mine torn because then it's on the straight grain, but you do lose a bit on the edge.
Janie
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM

If they won't tear, I won't buy. It's just that simple.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 PM

i agree
Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
If they won't tear, I won't buy. It's just that simple.
Isn't that funny - If they tear I don't buy. Except for quilt backing as it is so wide. But they usually give you a little bit extra to compensate for what you loose.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 AM

I had a similar experience with difficulty with Jo Ann's cutting policy. I asked for a yard of clear vinyl to line up my applique and it was the end of the roll with only 2 inches left that had even been taped to the roll. They wanted me to pay for the last 2 inches automatically. I told them I did not think I should have to pay for the 2 inches with tape, but they should just include it in my order since it was the last of the roll and there was nothing they could do with it anyway, besides I spend a lot of money in that store. They gave me some story about having to account for all of their material and could not give it to me, so they proceeded to cut my yard and not a bit more and left the last 2 inches on the roll. They then took it off the roll and wadded it up and threw it in the trash right in front of me. I was furious they would rather throw it away and make a good customer really angry. Kat