Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you Quilt on your sewing machine--have a question about your fancy stitches >

If you Quilt on your sewing machine--have a question about your fancy stitches

If you Quilt on your sewing machine--have a question about your fancy stitches

Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM

If anyone has a Espire or similar model (I guess it is the previous model to the Symphony), can you tell me if and how you are adjusting the stitch length on the decorative ones. The stitch length on the "wave" design is the only one I have found that has a larger size stitch length (probably just under 3--this seems to be all preset in the machine--the only adjustment I can make to these type of stitches is the size Small or Large and the tension).

I like the loopy designs and the wavy line that has a tulip at each dip--in the large size-- but the stitches are very tight and small. If you are able to adjust those, please tell me how.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I can adjust them on my Pfaff.
Me, too and often do.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
There are some of my JAnome that can't be changed, but most of them can, I have to make the adjustments.
Me too
Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Good question! I have been looking at Espire or Ellisimo. The Espire does have the editing feature. But according to the online manual page 109 doesn't make reference to changing them larger than programmed. This is one thing I don't like about the Elegante I have. I haven't tried to hook up the PC and download anything-so don't know what is possible or not. Will keep my eye on this post.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Not sure how you were planning on using the decorative stitches. The largest they will go on most machines is about 9mm, which is less than half an inch. Decorative stitches are often used over seams, as in a crazy quilt. You can't use them for free motion, because the feed dogs control the the movement of the fabric to create the decorative stitch. You can do straight lines and gentle curves, but you need to practice on a scrap sandwich. The feed dogs are controlling the fabric movement, because you have layers (backing, batting & top), and the dogs are grabbing the bottom layer, the top layer may not go along with the movement of the feet and the design may be distorted.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM

The wave and loopy line decorative stitch on the Espire covers a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch spread using the large size. These are the largest ones I have found so far.

I did find that all the basic stitches that are under the Utility Stich menu can be adjusted in stitch length and width (up to 7 mm) but these are all the smaller designs and not really suitable for quilting (other than stitch in the ditch). Just wish the stitches under the Decorative Stitches menu were more adjustable. It would make the machine so much more powerful for quilting.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 AM

I have BL Innovis and I use my free motion foot for little quilts...ask your quilt store if the BL free motion foot will work. Draw out your quilt designs with markers
and stitch away...the stitch will be a straight stitch...the quilt stitch design will be yours!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I use decorative stitches all the time for quilting. Some stitches are adjustable. If I'm using a new one I try it out on scraps of cloth-lined batting (try to use the same weights as in the quilt). I always use a walking foot for any quilting.

I just finished 3 lap robes using the star (asterisk) pattern and sewing it in an undulating line the length of the quilt (the cross wise were quilting as I put the top together). I used black thread and several people have commented on them very positively.

I've used several patterns and often use a plain straight stitch also (don't tell the new quilt police who like the squiggle quilting... it's just not my thing). I also use a pattern to sew down my bindings (I have arthritis and no hand sewing for me!).
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 AM

I have a BabyLock Melody which has a stipple stitch. However, it's tiny! No way I could use it over a whole quilt. I'm seriously thinking of getting a embroidery machine, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference for this issue. I have used other decorative stitches on applique, however.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I can adjust them on my Pfaff.
Me too and I use them often.