Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you were to teach Applique... >

If you were to teach Applique...

If you were to teach Applique...

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

My favorite applique method is invisible machine applique using freezer paper. Learned how to do it from Harriet Hargrave's book (although an earlier edition than this one):
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach.../dp/157120136X

I've tried most other methods. Found that my hands are not suited to needleturn applique; fingers cramp up quickly. I don't like the stiffness that fusibles add to applique, although I haven't tried the newer ones like MistyFuse that are supposed to be light as a feather. I get impatient with the time it takes to satin stitch around appliques, plus it takes a lot of thread. I found that the turning method (a la Eleanor Burns and dryer sheets) works only for larger applique shapes, plus I'm not very good at turning the shapes without poking a hole somewhere.

Applique technique really comes down to individual preference, I guess.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 AM

I suggest trying out a few methods first, since people are all different. For handwork, I vastly prefer needle-turn applique. For machine, I prefer raw edge. I like them both for the same reason - I'm lazy! Those two methods are easiest and take the least amount of work, IMO, although I'm sure many people will disagree with me about needle-turn. It gets a bad rap.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

first you have to decide...what kind of applique???
do you want to learn needle turn? raw-edge? fusable applique? stained glass? hand? machine?
after you decide what kind of applique you want to learn then do a search for tutorials on the technique you have decided on.

stained glass applique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153035[/ATTACH]

fused applique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153036[/ATTACH]

raw edge applique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153037[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153030.jpe   attachment-153031.jpe   attachment-153032.jpe  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
I agree with leatheflea and the Eleanor Burns method but I use used dryer sheets instead of buying stabilizer. I think fusible is ok for wallhangings but don't like the way it feels on quilts.
How do you use dryer sheets to do this? Don't they have a petroleum based substance in them? It doesn't harm the quilts? I'm really curious about this.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM

I prefer doing my applique by hand using the needle-turn method, but everyone is different. I'd say try out several methods then go with what you like best!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM

the method I like best is cut a cardboard (cereal box) to size and shape of finished piece. Lay the fabric piece on the ironing board wrong side up, paint along the seam line with starch, lay the cardboard on top and press the fabric over the edge of the cardboard. the curves come our nice because the fabric is damp and flexable. Perfect shape everytime. Now if I could just perfect my hand stitches.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

we need to see your designs you are considering. Different designs may require different techniques.