Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it illegal to sell a quilt - >

Is it illegal to sell a quilt -

Is it illegal to sell a quilt -

Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 AM

??? is why make fabric if the buyers can't use it as they want, doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 AM

The fabric is yours when you purchase it. You may do with it what you will. This is not the same as the rights a designer of a pattern has which means you can't copy it and give it to anyone who asks. The designer of the fabric has given permission when he/she allows the sale to the public and it falls into the public domain.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

And the debate continues. Myself, I'm going to continue doing what I do until or unless I'm legally forced to stop. I'm not getting rich on the items I make. This whole thing started for me when I made a purse as a gift, people saw it and started asking me to make them one and it just went from there.

Cari
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Oh my, I had no idea when I asked this question that it would be so confusing. I have no intention of stealing a design, I am only going to take fabric cut it to pieces & then sew it back together again with a different look. I am only one person & no I will not be "mass" producing quilts. In the end I still think the client should purchase the fabric & I will only charge for labor. This way we all should be safe. Thanks to everyone for their take on this.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 PM

And the debate goes on!

I'd like to see this resolved one way or the other. Not so much about "logo" fabric but using fabric at all.

There's a somewhat popular designer (who I'm not going to name) who made very public and very ugly threats about a photo of a finished item on the cover of a book that (horrors!) had some of her fabric in it which wasn't credited. I flat out won't buy any of her fabric.

Think of it this way: I made our DGD a log cabin quilt with over 140 different fabrics in light/dark pinks. What if someone wanted to put it on the cover of a book: since most of those fabrics were FQs, I don't have a clue who they came from.

Could one of those designers sue me for using a bit of her fabric without permission?

Ridiculous in my opinion.

I wish a really rich quiltmaker would be threatened with such a lawsuit and take it to court for a final opinion.