Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in Applique H*LL >

I'm in Applique H*LL

I'm in Applique H*LL

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 AM

I now know that I hate machine embroidery applique.
It makes me say bad words.
I have watched several videos on how to do it "in the hoop".
Easy peasy, I thought.
Well it ain't!!!
I can do all the steps well except trimming and that's the most important step!
I've switched scissors several times, even bought new ones, I've increased my lighting, etc but I've cut into the background fabric 4 times now!!
Luckily two of them are such small knicks that I can easily fix them but the other 2 are rather large holes where I've cut the background fabric away. There's nothing to do but throw it out and start over since I don't want a patch that large on the quilt.

I did everything just as the tutes said.
Hoop the material well, stitch the outline, place applique fabric, stitch the tack down, remove from machine and trim, replace and finish the stitching.
Road apples!
Whenever I tried to trim while the fabric was hooped, the remaining stitching didn't line up correctly. Obviously the material had shifted slightly while I was trimming, no matter how well I hooped it. (I've used hooping wraps, hooping tape, etc to keep the fabric tight and from shifting).
So then I thought I'll just stitch the whole thing and trim it after I remove the hoop. Yes the satin stitches won't totally hide the edges of the applique fabric but it'll be OK after a few washings.
That was working pretty good but I still knicked the fabric.
(I then went back to the old fashioned "needle turn" but that'll take me forever and this quilt has to be done 2 weeks from now, so that's not really an option for this quilt.)

I'm ready to give up and never allow "in-the-hoop" applique to enter my vocabulary or quilt plans again!

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to trimming while its "in the hoop" and not shifting the fabric?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 AM

I only trim out of the hoop and I fold the material back so the applique stands up a bit allowing you to trim more carefully, you still have to be careful so as not to cut the threads. take the extra time and try not to rush it
Old 05-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

You said you got new scissors. Are they duck bills? If you are a righty you can get Ginghers at Joann's. If you are a lefty, there's a company that makes them, http://www.famorecutlery.com. Anyway, the duckbills really helped me to trim closely, but not cut the back.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Are you doing this on an embroidery machine?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 AM

I agree with Lilacats. I have a pair of Gingher round tip scissors and that helps. Also take it out of the hoop, and just go slow. Good luck. I rarely cut the back off. I don't think it is too stiff with several layers. I use the very lightest Iron on.
Sue
Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 AM

I do not cut the backing out either----MUCH easier and quicker...
Can you change your design a bit and add something to cover the holes instead of starting over---creativity can usually fix anything!How do I know that? i often give myself "design opportunities"!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
You said you got new scissors. Are they duck bills? If you are a righty you can get Ginghers at Joann's. If you are a lefty, there's a company that makes them, http://www.famorecutlery.com. Anyway, the duckbills really helped me to trim closely, but not cut the back.
Yes I did buy Ginghers duck bill scissors with the off set handles. But they're the first ones that I goofed with...lol.
I've since cut the section of the border off that had the holes and added fresh background fabric. I'll just re-do the really bad ones.
Someone mentioned that they also trim out of the hoop. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

i don't have ideas for you, but i wanted to let you know that i feel your frustration. take a deep breath and frequent breaks. good luck for finishing your project :)
Old 05-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Yup, duck bills a must, in addition, I use my long tweesers to pick up the fabric I am removing..........don't give up. OH, BTW I always hoop my background fabric, I don't use the sticky stablizer of just 501 and also I use my fix stitch function.....calla
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM

Use basting spray or glue..which is what I use most of the time. And get you some very fine tip scissors. And use tweezers. I keep a pair of tweezers beside me all the time I'm embroidering. You have to be able to hold onto what you are are trying to cut with your really nice scissors. And don't use the ones that came with your machine the tips of those are worthless..go get you the pair you deserve to use. Don't give up!!