Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm confused - what brand machine do I have?? >

I'm confused - what brand machine do I have??

I'm confused - what brand machine do I have??

Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 AM

It says "Riccar" on the front - so last night I finally sent an email to Riccar to see if I could find out what kind of walking foot to get for it (I did check out a like someone had posted here for me, but I still couldn't figure it out) Anyway, I got a prompt reply this morning and they said that they forwarded my email to Tacony since they don't know anything about their machines. ? It does say "Tacony" on a sticker on the side, right by the model #, but I figured that that must be the model name, not the brand - So now I'm really confused. What kind of machine do I have?! And if it's Tacony, why does it say Riccar? (and when I grew up, you had a singer or a bernina - what is it with all these machines now? - it's like the yogurt isle at the grocery store!)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Boy, I wish every company was as quick to respond ----- I just got this comment back from Riccar when I replied that I was confused:

"Tacony is the parent company. I was not aware that they ever sold this model under the Riccar brand name but it’s possible."

I don't want a mystery machine. I wish I just had a Singer.

:|
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 AM

I don't know that you would want a Singer now-a-days. I have a Singer Featherweight and I love it, but the newer singer machines you find in the stores today leave a lot to be desired. They just don't make 'em like the used to.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Really? That's too bad. Seems like most things aren't made as well as they used to be. Maybe I should start checking Goodwills for an old one. I just want a machine I can easily find basic parts for!!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM

You definitely don't want a singer this day and time. I have a 57 year old feather weight, but would never buy a new singer.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM

I agree, Singer's are not what they used to be. There are much better brands of machines now like Janome and Bernina. I've heard here on the Quilting Board that Kenmore has good machines (they're made by Janome).

I don't know the answer to your question as I have not heard of either of those brands.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Ok, a rep from Tacony emailed me (at least their customer service is very fast) - she said it was mfg in '85 so her info is limited on it, but that either of the two walking feet on their site should work. She thinks it should be a low shank (but it also has the clip on foot thing - does that matter??)

Since I really don't know anything about walking feet, and these things are 24.99 plus shipping, and I only got a "should" work from her - I'm still feeling frustrated.

If you "know" walking feet, are they that specific to certain styles/models of machines or is there really a good chance one of these will actually work? Is it possible to have a short shank and a clip type foot? (does this make sense? I thought the linked site that is supposed to help you decide which you need says there's a difference....) What would you do? Besides just buy a new Janome! (I wish!) ;)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

I have a machine with a short shank that has snap on feet. The walking foot does not snap on though. I have to unscrew the "ankle" and screw on the walking foot.

Do you have a local quilt shop? If so, I'd ask if they have a generic walking foot you can try.

If you want a decent, low priced machine that you can readily get parts for, try a Kenmore. I bought them for my daughter's in law at Christmas for less than $100. They're not bad for a basic machine.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion - I will try a a quilt shop first then. Thanks for telling me that they don't clip on - that does really help!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
It says "Riccar" on the front - so last night I finally sent an email to Riccar to see if I could find out what kind of walking foot to get for it....... Anyway, I got a prompt reply this morning and they said that they forwarded my email to Tacony since they don't know anything about their machines.
Hi there, I got a PM to see if I could shed some light on the subject by one of our members. What you have a badged machine. That means that this one company (Talcony) built sewing machines and place who evers name on it that bought from them.

This has been going on since almost the time the sewing machine was invented. Most of the times it is the "Store Brand" name on it (J.C. Penny, Montgomery Wards, and Sears/Kenmore for example) but then some sewing machine companies will sub contract to them for one or more of their models. Morse, Universal, Riccar, and White are few of the companies that do.

Riccar is the Ferrari of the sewing machines, Italian manufactured and extremely reliable. But maybe the model you have was a lower end model and was subcontracted to Talcony. It does not mean it is inferior to the higher end Riccars, but it was built to their specs by Talcony and the cost of manufacture was far less than what it would have cost them to be in that certain market.

Now as far as the walking foot is concerned any aftermarket should work for your machine. Just make sure you take the foot off of your machine to verify the shank height. And if you have a sewing machine shop around you they will have feet for several different makers and models of machines.

I hope this helped you and if you want put a photo of the machine up on this thread so we can see it and I might can find out something about the parent company for you.

Billy