Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm disappointed - anyone else? >

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay, on the "Stain Glass" Quilt, when I got done, it didn't have enough blocks to make it the dimensions specified. So, I figured I had made a mistake in my layout of the blocks. Soooooo, I added additional strips and then the size was correct. It is done. This is the picture of it laying on the floor before I had it ready for the long arm quilter. I took it to the long arm quilter and she thought it was beautiful. I am in the process of sewing on the binding by hand. But, learning from all of you great quilters, I just punted. Will check for corrections in the future. I have marked the corrections in all the "Block" books that I have and just keep a quilting on! I will post a picture after I get it finished.
Gorgeous quilt!! This is one of the patterns that I really want to try in the books. At this point i have soo many books/magazines that have post it note flags in them for future quilts...

I decided to cancel my subsciption to Block. There are only so many hours in the day and working full time only allows me to quilt a limited time. I wasn't all THAT gaa-gaa over the designs. I do like reading Jenny's writing as will miss that, but my finances aren't such that I can afford a subscription if I'm not going to make lots of quilts from the book.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 PM

I have finally cancelled my subscription. After the first issue, I sent them a long list of errors and did get a response thanking me. When the file of corrections for the first two issues came out, I noted tht most of my suggested corrections were not included. There were apparently many incorrect measurements. Just before the third issue arrived, I decided I would stick with their tutorials and stay away from publications that were likely to be filled with errors. Too bad--I like the company and the tutorials, as well as the patterns they create.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Because when you pay for a pattern or magazine you shouldn't have to hunt to find out if there are mistakes. They have everyone's email that has subscribed. They should be notifying people. Or better yet, like others have mentioned, use pattern testers before releasing any. It's not fair to the first few that try a pattern to have to be unpaid guinea pigs and be the ones to discover and report errors.

No matter how easy it is to find out about the errors, the bottom line is that there shouldn't be so many in the first place. On a free publication, sure. When you pay for it, absolutely not.
Every magazine, pattern/book publisher has a correction page on their website. Some have many pages. It's up to the customer to look for it. The last pattern I bought it stated on the pattern please check the website for any corrections in tiny print. Block has less corrections then most of the major magazines.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-14-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Well from the post above yours, it sounds like they aren't listing them all so there you go. I know you love the magazine. That's great. Others don't seem to. That's fine too. Considering the price they should be able to stay on top if it better. Just my opinion.

eta: not everyone has internet so it shouldn't be up to the customer to find it on any publication. That's why there are proofreaders and testers. I know a few older quilters that don't even have a computer, much less internet access.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:43 AM

[I call it mentalpause)[/QUOTE]
Oh, I love it...I hope I can remember that line!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:29 AM

I still haven't received my issue. I sent them an email, and they said they would send me a replacement issue - but that was 10 days ago and I still haven't receivd it. I think it's time to cancel my subscription. I was charged on August 6 and still have not received the magazine!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM

I received the latest issue. I am disappointed that I have to pay money for the magazine, and if I want to make the Wacky Web Quilt or the Periwinkle Table Topper, I have to buy their templates as well. I feel that the least they can do is give the dimensions or angles of the rulers so I can make it even if I can't afford or choose not to buy yet another ruler just to make 1 quilt.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I received the latest issue. I am disappointed that I have to pay money for the magazine, and if I want to make the Wacky Web Quilt or the Periwinkle Table Topper, I have to buy their templates as well. I feel that the least they can do is give the dimensions or angles of the rulers so I can make it even if I can't afford or choose not to buy yet another ruler just to make 1 quilt.
Wow, they aren't even offering paper templates for them? That would be an immediate deal breaker for me.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Stain Glass Quilt Done! Not Corrected

Okay, here is the "Stain Glass" Quilt after finishing it. Remember this is the one that was suppose to be "corrected" and the blocks "should have been" sideways but the directions showed it with the blocks were up and down and that is the way that I did it. Had to add more strips to make the sizes as directed. Hey, we are quilters and we make it work!!!!
Attached Thumbnails stainglass_done-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 05:52 PM

I feel your pain. I bought a magazine a few weeks ago because I loved a project in it. I think the magazine was around $15. It is so unlike me to spend that but I really liked it. Only to get home and really read it and it sends you to their website for directions but no directions are to be found. I wrote them and never even got an acknowledgement back. I don't even remember the name of the magazine. Modern Quilting or something. These companies get paid good money for patterns and such and they all should be tested and accurate before selling. The pattern was probably off. I hope you get it figured out.