Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in the doldrums! >

I'm in the doldrums!

I'm in the doldrums!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM

You're not alone. I'm on my 2nd round of 'doldrums' for this year. The last one lasted a month or longer. Hopefully, this one will be shorter.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Yup! You are not alone!! Have projects planned, fabric galore and just can not find my start button!!!
Projects all got done just in time so all came to a dead stop...and now it feels like a system failure!!! And re-booting seems like it is taking f o r e v e r ! ! !
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM

I am super motivated right now. Maybe it's because I thought we weren't exchanging gifts so didn't make any or shop for any and I got several little gifts from some I never have gotten from before. Feeling embarrassed by that now and thinking of all the things I coulda, shoulda, woulda made. I have to get busy now so next year won't be a repeat.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM

I have found that if I do a lot of Christmas quilting and sewing then afterwards I am tapped out for awhile. I think it is just that I need a break from the sewing room. I did not have that problem this year. I did not plan as many projects.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 PM

It's the end of the year blues

I am trying to figure out how I am going to remember to write 2011 on next years paperwork - when I can't remember to 2010 on this years items
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I hear you loud and clear! My husband and I decided to join the fitness center b/c we both need it and I get so BLAH this time of year.
Tomorrow we are joining!! Maybe I'll be fit and skinny next Christmas lol :D
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
bj

Honestly, I always get let down after the holidays. And when we don't get to see any family, I get pretty sad. I try to muddle on through to the other side of it. I'm pretty happy 99% of the time, so I know it's just around the corner. I just have to be patient with the blues and let them work themselves out. And I make myself write in my gratitude journal every day at least until it passes. Today, I am thankful for my friends here on the board. (O:
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately, you are not alone. So many of us suffer from the mad-rush letdown. We gear up to so much during Christmas and then when it is over, we just crash. Maybe it is not so bad to take a day or two to re-group. For a few days I find myself doing things like working on some sample blocks or just reviewing new techniques. Maybe a trip with a dear friend to a great LQS to see their new work and then a coffee/dessert time will help.

We are always here if you need to share. Hope things get better for you very quickly. I also have to guard against doldrums, especially this time of year. God Bless!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

I planned to start sewing a new project over last weekend as I had 3 days off. On Sunday, I just could not get going. Today, I also planned to sew before I went to work and I went back to bed. I just barely got to work on time. Blah!!! Then when I got here, my boss said, oh, can you show these two women from our training department how to use this computer system? Oh, no! Let me get some coffee, first!!! Oh, well, maybe tomorrow will be better. I agree that we need to find something to get excited about. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
Does anyone else feel like this after Christmas? I have oodles of ideas and projects and new patterns and .. and ... Every year I get like this, just can't settle to anything. Is it because I have time on my hands, the only spare time in the year, or just the letdown after a busy end of year and celebrations. To really produce I need to be pushed to the limit and time poor. Another good reason could be that we have had continual rain for well over a week and much of Queensland and northern NSW is flooded. You might think that is a good time to get organised, but I get out patterns, sort my stash, scan through my craft magazines, print off projects found by Crafty Bear, decide I am going to finish that Christmas present that has now turned into a birthday present, prepare the backing for a quilt finished 6 months ago and so it goes on. Don't give me motivational hints! I have already given myself a good talking to! But I would like to know I'm not the only one - please!
You are definately not the only one - I am affected by the weather also. Rainy days I don't feel like doing much, but give me a nice sunny day and I can sew for hours.