Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Going Crazy >

I'm Going Crazy

I'm Going Crazy

Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM

According to F&P website it is the July/August 2010 issue. It has a picture of a yellow/blue basket quilt on the cover.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel View Post
I really hate when national magazines don't have good search engines. Good job finding it!
The trick is to not even bother using the website's search function. Use Google instead, it's much better. Just be very, very specific in your search terms. For instance, instead of typing "pyramid quilt", enter "Fons and Porter magazine pyramid quilt pattern" (or triangle instead of pyramid). Then to make it even easier, click on "Images" and you can look at pictures of the quilts instead of descriptions.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 AM

Peckish, I didn't know that trick about clicking on "Images" so I can look at pictures instead of descriptions. That should be a big help in the future -- thank you!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 AM

I have been "doing" this quilt for awhile...it is my go to when I really just want to sew...not think...I have tons of cut triangles, so I just grab n sew...it is not really difficult.....and I don't find the bias edges as threatening as some think they are....I don't use starch when I piece, just handle quickly, sew without pulling, that is, let the machine feed itself and have no problems.......it is a great traditional looking stash buster......
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM

I didn't think it was difficult. I started by sewing two triangles together, then sewing those into rows, then sewing the rows together. I didn't have the pattern like the Triangle Stash pattern, so I put the little triangles in there randomly.

My quilt wasn't quite random though, I wanted the dark triangles to point upwards to make it kind of "mountain" like.

But I didn't find the piecing hard. Just make sure that you have the pieces together correctly and that the dog ears are where they are supposed to be, otherwise, you won't have enough seam allowance and you'll chop off the points of the triangles when you put the rows together.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The trick is to not even bother using the website's search function. Use Google instead, it's much better. Just be very, very specific in your search terms. For instance, instead of typing "pyramid quilt", enter "Fons and Porter magazine pyramid quilt pattern" (or triangle instead of pyramid). Then to make it even easier, click on "Images" and you can look at pictures of the quilts instead of descriptions.
Notice that Peggi has quotation marks around item she wants to see. I've heard that is important. Type in your wanted item with quotation marks around it, and you are more likely to come up with something you are looking for.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I like SusanErier's version much better than the Fons and Porter version.

I think that is because it continues with the all triangle-ness of it - instead of breaking out into hexagons - which I think disturb the feeling of it.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

PS. Any isoceles triangle would work - one just has to maintain the triangle shape and angles throughout.
Doesn't HAVE to be an equalateral triangle.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
When you get to crazy, look me up--that's where I live!
We must be neighbors as I live in the crazy house also.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Yet again I stand in complete awe of the detectives on this board. Love to follow this kind of thread.