Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now........... >

I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now...........

I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now...........

Old 01-17-2016, 09:34 PM

Default I'm going to have to buy DH another motorbike now...........

Oh dear, oh dear........there I was, bustling around in the sewing room enjoying that moment and special feeling when you take your first proper look at your pieced top and bottom and bask in the glory of its magnificence....you know, right before you sink into that ambivalent feeling when you realise the next step is...ugh...sandwiching and basting. Well anyway, there I was, busy little smug, beaming self; tidying this, moving that, and then......knocking the hot iron off the ironing board onto the carpet...relatively new, perfectly good,nylon carpet......do you know how long it takes to melt a big black iron shaped moosh into your nylon carpet? A split second..that's all!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Banned

Oh yes, been there done that. At least mine landed on it's side so there's just a black line on my tan carpet.

Cari
Old 01-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

Hot suckers aern't they. Do you know how quick a hot iron melts an outline on your good sewing chair cushion? Yep a split second.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:51 PM

I found a silicone, iron shaped little rest for my iron, that allows me to set it on its face even when hot. Keeps me from bunping it, since it sits on the iron left end of the ironing board. I have cats and a huge clumsy dog, and I would rather be safe than sorry.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM

OOPS! Sorry about the accident but where does the motorbike come in?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 AM

I'm so sorry about the accident, however, a good carpet man ( or maybe woman ) can take a piece of the carpet left from your initial instillation or remove an existing piece from the far corner inside of your closet and repair your boo-boo and it will never show. I had to do this when my new puppy got lock inside a bathroom and tried to scratch his way out. And best of all, the cost of the repair will be nothing compared to the cost of a motorcycle.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:07 AM

MadameKelly...now that looks like a nifty little thing to have! I'll definately be keeping my eyes out for something like that over here! Though I guess now that the carpet is ruined it won't matter so much the next time haha!

QuiltsRfun....DH loves his motorbikes and the never ending stream of accessories that can be purchased for them. I figure if I smile indulgently at each of his proposed purchases it sort of puts him in a benevolent mood for when I slice the rear passenger car door right off its hinges against our gate, or lose my house keys, or burn a hole in the carpet......sigh....

BETTY62......good thought; had never considered that....and yes, would be much cheaper!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 AM

The problem with the silicone pad -- while it certainly is a nifty thing to have -- is that my iron will begin beeping loudly and shut off very quickly after about five seconds of being left flat and untouched. That is to keep someone who is a little on the clumsy and/or forgettable side [Me! Me! Me!] from pressing something and forgetting what I am doing.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:08 AM

As a renown clutz and cat owner, I feel your pain. My iron sits on a side cabinet when not ironing, not the ironing board. It's hit the floor several times, usually point first or its side. I would put a rug over it personally.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

WOW, I guess I am lucky. I don't ever recall having an iron dropped. A good carpet man should be able to piece your carpet back to being perfect. Must have scared you. Be happy that at least you didn't get burn.