Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm having trouble learning FMQ

I have three older sewing machines, that have the piece that covers the feed dogs. I can't get the FM embroidery/darning foot to fit. There is no room for the sandwich under the foot. I have adjusted the foot, but it is still touching my feed dog cover. Do I just use a hoop, without a foot? This is the way I've done FM machine embroidery, years ago. Or, do I try to order feet that might fit my machines? Please help! I have three wall hangings and two baby quilts, that need to be quilted, and I don't want to hand quilt them.

Banned
    order the foot that fits your machine. I don't believe you can adjust the one you have. There should be one even tho your machine is older as the darning foot has been around a long time - long before we discovered it for quilting.

Blog Entries
    I would do an online search for the correct foot. It sound like you might need a short shank foot. If we knew the machine brand and model number we might could help better.

If you get the correct foot, try skipping the feed dog cover and set the stitch length to zero. That's what I do.

I FMQ on a treadle and an electric 15-91. The feed dogs don't drop on the treadle so I just zero out the stitch length. The other machine the feed dogs drop and I zero out the stitch length. Even my bells and whistle Bernina 183 I don't drop the feed dogs, just zero out, don't have so many tension issues. Good luck.