Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
I feel your pain. I, too, have no ideas of my own. Friends and family SAY I'm the creative one, yet they are delusional. Like you, I love art...love looking at it, seeing the nuances of the artist's work, and trying to figure out where their mind was as they were creating it. I am frustrated that I really CAN'T come up with ideas of my own.

...there is hope for us: it comes in the form of "inspiration" and not necessarily "this is what I have for a vision and now I'm going to build it." You and I can take the world around us and can be inspired by others' work...by nature...by a stiff spring breeze laden with the scent of freshly thawed earth.

I, personally, am inspired by characters such as Anne of Green Gables (Megan Follows), and how she sees the world and all that's in it. There is a line in it when she returns home, grabs a handful of flowers by the picket fence, and presses them to her caretaker's face: "Smell them, Morilla...drink them in!" This one simple line is just so incredibly inspiring to me- taking a simple handful of wild flowers, and finding happiness and the ultimate beauty in everything that makes

I don't know what her idea was, but for example...if she suggested sashing, ask yourself what kind of sashing style you like best. Go to pinterest or google other sashing ideas, border ideas, outline ideas...wide lines, thin lines, or a combination of both. Take her "idea," and make it your own. Like I said, I have no fresh ideas of my own, but give me a jumping off point, and I can run with it and come up with something that says "I made this."

Just remember that more than likely, people who have "ideas of their own" usually have experienced something you may not have, seen something you may not have, or they, too, could be running with someone ELSE's idea. Everyone is unique, and sees the world differently. How YOU see the world and what makes YOU happy will ultimately reflect in your quilts. Don't be afraid to color outside the lines.
this is such a beautiful post, Teeler - Thankyou. I haven't quoted it in full, but every word is worth reading! You're creative in your writing....
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Try looking at/for some of these books...

Art + Quilt, Design Principles and Creativity Exercises by Lyric Kinard
Art Quilt Workbook, Exercises and Techniques to Ignite your Creativity by Jane Davila & Elin Waterson
Intuitive Color & Design, Adventures in Art Quilting by Jean Wells
Journey to Inspired Art Quilting, More Intuitive Color & Design by Jean Wells

They all teach the basic visual design principles (as applied to working with fabric), some simple techniques, and have exercises to practice what you have read. They are all adaptable to any style of quilting you want to try, but focus mainly on the abstract. They offer no patterns to follow, but instead show you how to forge your own path to the quilter that lives in your heart.

Also, found some online courses.
Linda and Laura Kemshall http://www.lindakemshall.com/DesignM...neCourses.html

And if you can't find more, try looking at the video titles offered By Quilting Arts Magazine.
http://www.interweavestore.com/quilt...ng-dvds-videos

You're right, btw, Quilt University closed last October after the founder died.
thankyou very much for these suggestions - they sound like exactly what I need. Will investigate!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Caswews View Post
When I start a new pattern I take the pattern and lay out several colors and look at them; if they don't suit me; then I start all over again with other colors. When I ask others for suggestions-they are just that ! suggestions ..
Take her suggestion with a grain of salt; you have the ability to make it your own quilt even with her suggestion. Maybe on the next quilt use her idea and see if YOU like it .. if not then let it set a day or two come back to it and still if it doesn't then do it your way ..
Her idea was a great one that would improve the quilt - that's what was hard - I'd been thinking that I was doing pretty well with it, then was suddenly shown that in fact it looked quite uninteresting and could be much better. And she has the creativity to see quite easily a simple change that would make a huge difference - and I havent.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I will take opinions, advice and insights from anyone, mull it all over and use the parts I like for a project. You can add or dismiss any information that comes your way.

It takes time to become self assured about your own creative ability.

I would suggest an on line class or LQS class that will challenge you.

Also try making a shortlist of three to five things you want to put in a quilt, for example:
1. use only three colors that are contrasting
2. use three different blocks
3. set on point
4. use red cornerstones

Now make it work! I saw this tip in a book a while back and it helped me to start designing my own stuff.

Don't dismiss any help, advice is just that, use it or don't, but keep the info tucked away for the future!
peace
an interesting challenge! I'll have to give that some thought. Thankyou.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
i have been thinking about this thread for several days, it's a great conversation that sparks the depths of many quilters!

Unlike others, I think you should go with your sister's idea, BUT, in a different way....
It was obvious to me that you liked "the spin" your sister suggested, because you said, "
She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting."

Here is my suggestion...Perhaps you might think of it this way, instead. Take her "spin" and change it, or add to it. For example, if she suggested adding 4 patch blocks, try coming up with your own "spin", such as HST, etc.

In this way, you will realize you ARE being creative, and will come full circle. Getting the positive results from a "spin", but the spin will be your own!
Yes, this is what I'm thinking - can I find a way to use her idea but adapt it so that it feels like mine.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Realtorlin View Post
I read your post and I want to say that sometimes it takes a lot of switching the fabrics around and adding and subtracting to get the perfect design that YOU like. If you like it that is all that matters. There is no right or wrong. If you think her design is better ask yourself why. Then rearrange your design till you get one that YOU love. Sometimes it can take me a month to get it "just right". Be patient with yourself and try this. You will know when the right design is right because it will thrill you and it is YOURS. Then you won't have to ask anyone their opinion because you have a design that YOU love and it is made by YOU....Just my thoughts.
very true. I've been playing with this idea for the past few months, collecting fabrics, pictures of quilts in similar colours, pictures of other objects that give me some inspiration. I've cut out squares from all my fabrics and started trying to work out how best to combine them - blocks, patterns etc. I've never worked like that before and it was fun until I began to feel so discouraged.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

By the way - to the original poster - are you also dealing with depression or bi-polarism? That could also contribute to the crashing from happy to not happy.
No, not bi-polar, not depressed (and have been in the past, so know when I am). But almost certainly being affected at the moment by bereavements in the past year.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 AM

Loved reading all your answers to the comments. Good luck on whatever you do.