Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm just wondering if

. . .you could paper piece on used dryer sheets and not have to remove the sheet after sewing? I have only done 2 simple little paper pieced squares but hated tearing off the paper. What would be the pros & cons of doing this? I have learned so, so much from this board and look forward to hearing your views. Thanks

I believe many use them for Crumb Quilts. I tried and few and they worked fine for that. Keeps all the seams nicely tucked away.

As for PPing, sure you could do that, though how are you going to transfer your pattern to the dryer sheet? You could trace it on there, but I'd be worried about the consistency.

I find the tearing off part to be finicky too ... though by keeping my stitches very small, the paper does come off pretty easily.

Blog Entries
    I use it for "crumb blocks" and I have also used the dryer sheets for applique. I did a quilt with a bunch of circles and they worked great:) http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122616-1.htm

Blog Entries
    if you iron the dryer sheets to freezer paper, you can run them through your printer.

Blog Entries
    I find the tearing off part to be finicky too ... though by keeping my stitches very small, the paper does come off pretty easily.[/quote]
    -------------------------------
    I was told by an older lady that when the sewing is done, spritz the sewing line with water, wait a moment and it will tear off real easy. It softens the paper so it will come off without tearing out the stitches. Might not work on freezer paper, that is made to keep out moisture.

Blog Entries
    Darn, hit the send button twice

I guess I should explain what I am thinking of doing. I used the dryer sheets for machine appliqueing some hearts and it worked really well. I want to make a crazy quilt and thought the dryer sheets might act like a lt wt stabilizer. I definitely see what some of you were saying about it not being very exact but for a crazy quilt, that might not be so important

If the sheets have been used enough that ALL the softener is gone, it might work. I wouldn't trust the chemicals not to discolor the fabrics.

those work well- i usually do all my paper piecing on muslin (foundation piecing)
    for the same reason- i hate removing the paper- also it adds an additional layer to the quilt- keeps everything very stable.
    using lightweight fabric does make the quilt a bit heavier- but living in Northern Michigan---thats never a bad thing here :)