Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Im looking for a new machine, fmq, strong powerful, for all kinds of sewing. >

Im looking for a new machine, fmq, strong powerful, for all kinds of sewing.

Im looking for a new machine, fmq, strong powerful, for all kinds of sewing.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM

I love my 7700. I found although the machine had no trouble sewing over bulky seams it wanted to veer off a bit so I bought the dual feed 1/4 inch foot and now I get a lovely staight seam.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM

I find that the real workhorses are the older Bernina's. The 200's and 400's. All metal, powerful machines.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM

I really wanted the 7700, I've been a Janome girl for 10 yrs. I test drove it several times and had concerns about a few sewing issues, I went with a Viking instead. I'm very pleased!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:30 AM

Bringing up the thread breaking issue - I have the Janome 6500, would love to trade up but can't justify at this time. My heavier quilting thread was breaking a lot while FMQ & I remembered a posting here. If I set my machine on mode 2, pattern 16 which moves the needle to the left - I can sew forever without thread breaking. Don't know why it works but it does. I remember it from an older blog on here.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM

I have had Pfaff machines for over 30 years and believe they are the best. My 7570 is a real workhorse my favroite for
piecing. My other Pfaff is a Creative Vision 5.0 and it does wonderful things. The most important consideration in purchasing a new machine is SERVICE. We have the best support stores in the area with classes, repair people and just plain friendly people who work there. So it is my advice to check out the store as well as the machines. Good luck,,
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joan Wales-Dickson View Post
.... The most important consideration in purchasing a new machine is SERVICE. .....
Can't emphasize this enough! So many places send machines out for service, whereas ours has the mechanic on-site and in full view as his service area is a corner in the back corner of the store. Quick fixes or questions, he'll answer at any time. And if you're in a class and something goes wrong, he just comes right into the class ... just like roadside service to your car.

For those who have purchased their machines, you can get an appointment for one day service!! Yes, only one day without your machine, and usually, it's ready mid day. For out of-towners (like me) they'll even do it while I'm in town so I don't have to make a 2nd trip. I save that favour for when I really need it ... and usually drop it off a day or 2 in advance and just plan some other things when I don't have my machine. If not purchased at the store, you go into the queue behind the booked appointments, though I don't think they are left waiting too long.

Whether buying a car, household appliances, sewing machine etc., service plays a big part in my decision on where to shop and ultimately buy!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 AM

Hi - Thought I'd throw my two cents in - I've had both of these machines. I started with a 6600, then traded up to the Horizon 7700. I didn't like it as well as the 6600, so I sold it and bought another 6600. The only thing I liked better on the 7700 was the larger throat space. Several things that drove me crazy - The way the spool of thread sits on the 7700 and the way it winds through the machine (on the top, under the lid), and also to wind bobbins. I found that cumbersome. Also, the (optional) thread stand for larger spools the 7700 is stationary, it does not fold down like it does on the 6600, which makes impossible to keep a cover on the machine when not in use. Probably the main thing I disliked about the 7700 was the bobbin winder. The 6600 has a separate bobbin winder - You load it up and push a button, really easy! The 7700 needs you to use the foot pedal or unplug the foot pedal if you want to use the on/off button to wind the bobbin. I found this cumbersome also. In general, the 6600 feels more sturdy to me, it feels more robust and solid when it sews. Also, as others have stated, getting the 1/4" seam on the 7700 is problematic, and many on the Yahoo Janome 7700 list speak of the difficulty of going over thick seams.

Solomae
Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Solomae View Post
Hi - Thought I'd throw my two cents in - I've had both of these machines. I started with a 6600, then traded up to the Horizon 7700.........
Thanks for your insights SoloMae ... I had been starting to wonder if I should trade up now, while I wouldn't lose any money on my 6600 (first year, we can trade in for full value), but I think you've convinced me that I have no interest!! Th positive of the larger throat space yes, but the 7700 negatives you pointed out, are all reasons why I have fallen in love with the 6600, so I know I am good to go!

For your 1/4" dilemma ... try the special accufeed 1/4" foot ... a friend who bought her 7700 the same week as I bought my 6600 sews with the accufeed almost all the time!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Smile Thanks you all I've made a decision

Thank you all who replied. I have decided to go with the Janome 6600. I liked the Horizon 7700 and understand that it is sort of mesmerizing pretty and has a lot of great features, but I tested two at two different dealers and the fact that it would not sew over a simple layered intersection on a pieced block was so mind boggling to me. If it was only one machine at one dealers I would say the machine needed to be adjusted, but the real red flag was that it happened at both. After having a bad experience with a Pfaff Ex. 4.0 which I bought last August, and the dealer took back I was not up for any thing that had iffy behavior. I picked the Janome mostly because my dealer sells Pfaff and Janome, and they don't give refunds, meaning I had to find the replacement there. I lost my confidence with Pfaff, so thought I would look at the Janomes.
Through this process I discovered the 6600 and was very impressed. I tried the Horizon too. But all around I really like the 6600 more. I found it quieter, as smooth, it handled everything as well as the Horizon and more. I would have loved to have the extra two inches of harp space but I think the 9 inch harp will is good. It is all of the most important features of the Horizon. I loved the Accufeed in both machines. The fact that its has four different feet to use is great. I tested velvet and silks and all the most difficult fabrics and the seams were even and precise. I also tested piecing and the seams again were precise. I had no problem with the fabric getting pulled into the plate opening at the very beginning.
Plus a big factor is all the information I was able to find on line, and from people on the various sewing boards have been extremely helpful. Please wish me luck. I should receive my new machine in a week or two.
Thanks everyone
Nancy in NY
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by nanbue View Post
Thank you all who replied. I have decided to go with the Janome 6600. Nancy in NY
Glad you've made your decision - enjoy your new machine!