Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in LOVE >

I'm in LOVE

I'm in LOVE

Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
With Paper Piecing. Below is my first ever PP block and while its not exactly perfect, I'm happy with it as a first attempt. Hopefully I will get better. One side came out shorter than the others due to a misjudged seam allowance but other than that one little boo boo everything came out pretty close. I'm really not sure why it took so long for me to try it. I also chose one of the most complicated pattern out there for the WOW factor, WOW I really can do this.
My Scrappy Storm Block
Unusual color/fabric selection for a storm at sea---------------but very good looking
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Unusual color/fabric selection for a storm at sea---------------but very good looking
Since this was my first ever paper piecing block I just used some scraps with no thought to color or design selection. When I get better I will use different colors from yardage I will purchase, for now its just scraps.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM

I am fairly new to quilting so am going to ask a dumb question. I understand you sew the fabric onto paper. It what is the purpose of doing it that way vs. just the regular way of cutting the fabric and assembling the block??? Is it to avoid having to be exact in cutting out the pieces because you are sewing them on a paper pattern and then trimming them up?? Thanks for any insight.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM

As I found and understood Paper Piecing allows you to achieve tight, perfect points that would otherwise be unobtainable. If you look at the picture of my block, the corner squares contain quarter square triangles that are only 3/4" tall. There's no way I could achieve the accuracy by using a rotary cutter and trying to sew them together.
I also found that it is very important to trim and iron between each step. I found the whole process rather easy and very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to trying more complex patterns in the near future.

Last edited by crocee; 01-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 PM

Very nice. I love it.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 AM

Yes, for the most part, paper piecing is done to achieve certain designs that just are not attainable with traditional piecing. That said, most traditional blocks can also be paper pieced. You generally get greater accuracy with paper piecing.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM

PP is amazing. You can get so much detail into a block. It's actually possible to design your own blocks with a little practice.

I really like your first block. It was not the simplest block to start with and it turned out just fine.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
PP is amazing. You can get so much detail into a block. It's actually possible to design your own blocks with a little practice.

I really like your first block. It was not the simplest block to start with and it turned out just fine.
I think this is why I like it so much. I love some of the intricate and complex designs I've seen. PP kinda reminds me of painting but using fabric as he medium. So many ideas going through my head.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:48 PM

Your block came out great. I love paper piecing but feared it for a long time before I finally made up my mind to conquer it.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 PM

you did a great piece of work there. Have fun with it.