Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm a member >

I'm a member

I'm a member

Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM

I wish I would always use my Clutz glove.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM

I was teaching a class on safety and wasn't paying attention to the tools (thinking about the next part of the lecture). Zip, slice, off went the top portion of my index finger. I didn't realize how bad it was so I grabbed the cut scrap and held it tight and continued to teach. The students didn't realize what had happened. But then it got bad and I got someone to take over the class and went to investigate how bad it was. Meanwhile I had changed fabric scraps and in the process threw out the mushroom cap portion of the finger. Everything is ok now. They cauterized the veins, covered the finger and I had to cage it for 2 months. Try working in a fabric store with a cage on your index finger!!!! The hand doctor did an incredible job and the only problem I have is it always feels like there are bits of dirt on a surface when I run my finger on it - weird! I was using my rotary cutters within a week and, although I concentrate completely when working, I have no problems. But when my students start cutting, I make them use a handle that attaches to the rulers. Them cutting terrifies me! Lesson learned AGAIN - pay attention to your tools and your work.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM

OnebyOne - the lady in your story was guaranteed to cut her self. Any time you brag about something it's sure to happen to you.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Thankfully I haven't cut any fingers with a rotary cutter (yet), but after nearly 40 years of sewing on a sewing machine, I sewed thru the tip of my finger. That really surprised me!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM

All of these posts makes me want to get a guard for my sewing machines and wear my Ov-Glov (which looks like the Klutz glove) when I use my rotary cutter even tho I use my SlidLoc. Just last week I barely touched a bag of trash I was heaving over into the dumpster and touched a can (it had been opened with the opener that goes around the top of the can - makes lid save but the can is a razor blade) and sliced my finger about 3/4".
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I find myself rarely using my rotary cutter as much as I use to. I use a Go for 95% of my cutting. When cutting fabric to fit the die, it's easier to tear, or use scissors. No rulers needed.